PhD Studentship in Education
|Funded PhD Studentship|
Agreed Subject to Research Project
UK/EU and International Applicants
Application Close Date
Open Until Filled APPLY NOW
The studentship is available for part-time registration and is payable as a partial UK/EU tuition fee waiver worth half of the part-time fee. The fee waiver is payable pro rata over six years.
The successful applicant will also receive a research training support grant.
Research Areas and Supervision
This studentship is open to applicants wishing to pursue doctoral research in any area of education research that can be supervised by our academic staff - including:
- educational leadership, learning, and change
teaching and learning
education for social justice
mathematics and science education
language teaching, learning, and use
Search our staff supervision interests.
Supervisors will be agreed subject to the research project to be undertaken.
- First class or upper second class undergraduate degree or an equivalent overseas qualification in a relevant subject*
- It is expected that applicants will also hold a Masters degree in a relevant subject*
- Sufficient professional experience to undertake the proposed research - i.e., an appropriate background in research or are deemed capable on the basis of academic qualifications, professional experience, and supporting references
- Standard English language requirements (IELTS with a minimum overall score of 6.5 and a minimum score of 6.0 in each component; or TOEFL internet-based 90/120 minimum)
- Available to suitable UK/EU and International (i.e., outside the EU) applicants - please note though that the award covers tuition fees at the UK/EU rate only; international applicants (and those not eligible to pay UK/EU tuition fees) must demonstrate at the time of their application that they can fund the difference in tuition fee rates
- Available for part-time registration only
- Under UK immigration laws, student visas are not issued for part-time programmes; international applicants would be expected to remain based in their normal country of residence
- Applicants must be able to start in October 2014
* or show evidence of achieving this by October 2014
Informal enquiries are welcome - please contact Leigh Blair:
- +44 (0)116 229 7524
- Draft a research proposal that tells us what you want to research, how you intend to do it, and why it is worth doing
- Prepare your supporting documents
- Submit your online application or apply by post
Important Advice for Applicants
- The studentship will remain open until filled - so early application is strongly encouraged
- Applications that do not include a full research proposal and the required supporting documents will not be considered
- In the Fees and Financial Support section of the application, applicants must state that they wish to be considered for this October 2014 PhD Studentship in Education (Ref. Part-Time)
Choose the University of Leicester
The University of Leicester is one of the UK's leading universities, committed to international excellence through the creation of world changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching.
Leicester is ranked in the top 2% of universities in the world by the QS World University Rankings and THE World University Rankings. In 2013 Leicester was the highest climbing UK university in the THE World Rankings, moving up 35 places to 161st in the table.