Distance Learning PhD and MPhil Degrees
Our distance learning programmes offer a more flexible way to study for a research degree - allowing you to undertake a University of Leicester research degree wherever you are based in the world.
Distance research degrees allow you to develop your career without having to leave employment - meaning you can continue earning as you study and spread the costs of your course.
It also means that you can apply new knowledge and insights to your working life while you are still studying, with many researchers choosing to tackle professional and work-related topics in their doctoral theses.
PhD candidates on distance learning programmes can complete their degree in a minimum of three years. Those who need longer to complete their degree can take up to six years.
Distance Learning Degrees to Suit You
We offer distance research degrees in the following areas:
All the Support You Need
Those on distance programmes are just as much a part of our research community as their campus-based colleagues:
- many Schools/Departments now use email groups and other online forums to involve those on distance programmes in the day-to-day lives of their postgraduate communities and you will be encouraged to participate in campus-based research events as far as possible
- a personal supervisor who will help you plan and manage your research and develop your understanding of relevant research methodology
- keep in touch with your supervisor and other researchers in your School/Department through our Virtual Learning Environment
- online training materials, study guides, and multimedia resources to help you develop your effectiveness as a researcher
- extensive e-library resources including remote access to some 18,000 electronic journals, books, and databases