When we receive your application it is forwarded to the academic department in which you wish to study. The department may contact you for further information or to invite you for interview.
The assessment of your application can take up to 28 days. Once the department's postgraduate tutor has made a decision, you will be informed whether or not your application has been successful.
If you are successful and we make you an offer, you will receive further instructions about what to do next, including payment and how to become a student. If you have any queries at any stage, please use the contact details in any correspondence you receive from the University about your application.
If you have not supplied references, your nominated referees will be contacted and offered the opportunity to upload references via a secure link. If you have given us an email address, this will speed up the process. We encourage you to check that the referees have been contacted and that they respond, as it is your responsibility to ensure that we receive references.
Your references should be from an academic contact unless you are applying for a post-experience programme (such as Education or an MBA) where a professional/industrial referee would be more appropriate.
General terms and conditions of your offer
- It is a condition of acceptance by the University that students agree to abide by the Charter, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations of the University.
- As a postgraduate student you will be required to provide satisfactory evidence that you can pay the tuition fees and support yourself during the whole period of your studies at the University of Leicester. Fees are due at or before the start of your course. Fees can be paid by cheque, credit card, international money order or bankers draft in pounds (£) sterling, and should be made payable to the ‘University of Leicester’. Transfers of funds from some countries can take several weeks so please start to make your arrangements as early as possible. Full details of how to pay will be sent with your registration package.
- The period of study specified in your offer is the normal period of registration. An additional year may be designated for writing up your thesis, providing you have completed your research at that point. A nominal fee is charged for this additional period of study. This is currently £100 for a year, payable in two instalments of £50.
- If you change your address, please ensure that you notify the Postgraduate Admissions Office.
- PhD Students: you will be registered as an Advanced Postgraduate (APG) for a minimum period of one year (full-time) or two years (part-time) after which you may transfer for a specific degree (MPhil/PhD), subject to satisfactory progress and approval of Senate.