Educational Leadership MSc
Duration and mode of study
Two to four years by distance learning.
There will be a start in February, June and October each year.
We are no longer accepting applications for the 6 October 2014 start date. If you are interested in applying, the next start date is 2 February 2015. Find more information about how to apply.
Payment and Registration for October 2014
The deadline for cleared payment (initial fee payment to have been received and cleared into the University's account) is Thursday 25th September 2014.
The deadline for registration is midnight UK time, Tuesday 30th September 2014.
- At least three years teaching experience, or alternatively, three years with equivalent professional status in an educational organisation.
- In addition you must be currently employed in, or have access, to an educational organisation, or provider. This could include for example working in a school, college, the military or in government, and training roles in other sectors.
- Either: At least a UK second class honours degree or its equivalent.
Or: UK Qualified Teacher Status or its equivalent professional status in an educational organisation.
If your first language is not English you will need to satisfy the University's English language requirements.
These are the total course fees. Please note that the fees for our distance learning programmes are based on where you will be residing in the world during your studies.
October 2014, February 2015 and June 2015
Discounted fee for students studying in eligible countries: £7,150
You will have the option to pay:
- Your full tuition fee course on initial registration or
- Half of your course fee on initial registration (the final half of your course fee will be due on the anniversary of your initial registration) or
- Over six instalments over the first two years of your study
If your course fee will be paid by a sponsor they must pay your course fees in full in advance of each year of study. For further details, please see the Finance Office web pages.
The University will accept payment by a number of methods. Please visit the Finance Office website for further information.
The MSc Educational Leadership is designed for those working in educational settings who have an interest in how leadership and learning are connected in driving change. You will have opportunities to reflect upon practice in your organisation, identify areas of professional concern and become equipped to find solutions and lead change.
Please visit the department website for module descriptions.
- Module 1: Educational Leadership, Learning and Change
- Module 2: External Influences on Educational Leadership
- Module 3: Organisational Effectiveness, Improvement and Transformation
- Research methods
Teaching and assessment methods
The first four modules are assessed by three written tasks all related to inquiry relevant to your own interests. Two online reflective pieces of writing (each of 500 words) will support you in developing a focus for your inquiries; together these make up 20% of the marks for the module. The remaining 80% marks are associated with a final 4,000-5,000 word written assignment. The final module, the dissertation, is assessed by a 15,000 to 20,000 word report.
Distance Learning Advisers
T. +44(0)116 252 5377