Educational Leadership MSc
Duration and mode of study
Two to four years by distance learning.
There will be a start in February, June and October each year.
We are now accepting applications for the 5th October 2015 start date. If you wish to apply, the deadline for us to receive your application with full supporting documents is 10th September 2015. Find more information about how to apply.
Payment and Registration for October 2015
The deadline for cleared payment (initial fee payment to have been received and cleared into the University's account) is Thursday 24th September 2015.
The deadline for registration is midnight UK time, Tuesday 29th September 2015.
- At least three years teaching experience, or alternatively, three years with equivalent professional status in an educational organisation.
- In addition you must be currently employed in, or have access, to an educational organisation, or provider. This could include for example working in a school, college, the military or in government, and training roles in other sectors.
- Either: At least a UK second class honours degree or its equivalent.
Or: UK Qualified Teacher Status or its equivalent professional status in an educational organisation.
If your first language is not English you will need to satisfy the University's English language requirements.
These are the total course fees. Please note that the fees for our distance learning programmes are based on where you will be residing in the world during your studies.
October 2015, February 2016 and June 2016
Discounted fee for students studying in eligible countries: £7,470
You will have the option to pay:
- Your full tuition fee course on initial registration or
- Half of your course fee on initial registration (the final half of your course fee will be due on the anniversary of your initial registration) or
- Over six instalments over the first two years of your study
If your course fee will be paid by a sponsor they must pay your course fees in full in advance of each year of study. For further details, please see the Finance Office web pages.
The University will accept payment by a number of methods. Please visit the Finance Office website for further information.
The MSc Educational Leadership is designed for those working in educational settings who have an interest in how leadership and learning are connected in driving change. You will have opportunities to reflect upon practice in your organisation, identify areas of professional concern and become equipped to find solutions and lead change.
Please visit the department website for module descriptions.
- Module 1: Educational Leadership, Learning and Change
- Module 2: External Influences on Educational Leadership
- Module 3: Organisational Effectiveness, Improvement and Transformation
- Research methods
Teaching and assessment methods
The first four modules are assessed by three written tasks all related to inquiry relevant to your own interests. Two online reflective pieces of writing (each of 500 words) will support you in developing a focus for your inquiries; together these make up 20% of the marks for the module. The remaining 80% marks are associated with a final 4,000-5,000 word written assignment. The final module, the dissertation, is assessed by a 15,000 to 20,000 word report.
Accreditation of Prior Learning
You may be able to apply for exemption from these modules:
- Educational Leadership, Learning and Change, (ELLC) 30 credits
- External Influences on Educational Leadership (EIEL) 30 credits
Accreditation for Prior Certified Learning (APCL)
If you have Masters-level (level 7) credits completed during the last 5 years you may be eligible to apply for 30 or 60 credits towards your MSc Educational Leadership. You can apply for APCL if your certificates allow exemption from the modules above.
Accreditation for Prior Experiential Learning (APEL)
If you have significant relevant professional experience you may be eligible to apply for 30 or 60 credits towards your MSc Educational Leadership. You can apply for APEL if you can demonstrate (by undertaking some written tasks) that your professional experience allows exemption from the modules above.
Exemptions are considered on a case by case basis. Further information regarding APCL and APEL will be provided when you receive an offer for the MSc Educational Leadership programme.
College of Social Science Distance Learning Team
+44(0)116 223 1932
+44(0)116 252 5164
+44(0)116 252 5780