English Language Requirements 2014-15
All applicants should demonstrate their competency in English language by successfully completing one of the following:
- Secondary education in a country accepted as teaching in the medium of English. Please see the list of approved countries for details.
- At least two years of an undergraduate and/or a higher degree in a country accepted as teaching in the medium of English, within three years of the start date of the course. Please see the list of approved countries for details.
- An accepted qualification in English language at a level specified for the subject area. Please see the list of approved qualifications for details.
- An accepted test in English language at a level specified for the subject area, within two years of the start date of the course. Please see the list of approved English language tests for details.
- An English language pre sessional course at the University of Leicester at a level specified for the subject area.
- The Leicester International Study Centre foundation course at a level specified for the subject area.
Applicants may be asked to successfully pass a test which is set and marked by the University of Leicester at a level specified for the subject area.
|Antigua and Barbuda||Gambia||South Africa|
|Australia||Gibraltar||St Kitts and Nevis|
|Barbados||Guyana||St Vincent and the Grenadines|
|British Virgin Islands||Lesotho||Trinidad and Tobago|
|Canada||Malawi||Turks and Caicos Islands|
|Christmas Islands||New Zealand||UK|
|Cook Islands||Norfolk Islands||Zambia|
|Dominica||Papua New Guinea||Zimbabwe|
|Falkland Islands||Sierra Leone|
If you require further information, please contact the Admissions Office (Undergraduate) firstname.lastname@example.org or Postgraduate Admissions Office email@example.com where staff will be happy to advise you.
Language requirements for visa
If you require a Tier 4 (General) Visa to study in the UK, you must also meet UK Government regulations about English language ability.
Don't meet the requirements? Don't worry...
English language preparatory courses for international students
If you do not yet meet our English requirements we can help you to improve your English to the necessary standard. The University’s English Language Teaching Unit (ELTU) offers a range of courses to help campus-based students with the English you need for your studies.
Each preparatory course consists of 21 hours of intensive language training per week in small, international classes (maximum 16 students, but usually no more than 12). You can join a course at any point, depending on your current language level.
If there is any doubt about your English language ability, the University of Leicester reserves the right to require you to achieve a satisfactory score in a recognised English language test, or to pass a test of competence, set and marked by the English Language Teaching Unit.