Licenciado (Universidad de Vigo), LLM (University of Limerick), PhD (NUI, Cork) Member of the Spanish Bar, Ávila (non-practising)
Telephone: 0116 252 5332
Pablo is a Senior Lecturer and a non-practising Spanish attorney. He was first appointed as a CSET Lecturer in Civil Justice at Leicester in 2008, and was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 2013. Pablo is originally from Spain where he obtained a law degree at Universidad de Vigo. In 2004 he completed a LLM in European and Comparative Law at University of Limerick and proceeded to University College Cork (NUI) in 2005 to write a PhD thesis on Online Dispute Resolution. The Matheson Ormsby Prentice Solicitors Scholarship and the Government of Ireland Scholarship (IRCHSS) funded his PhD.
Pablo conducts research in the field of civil procedure, dispute resolution and consumer law. He has been invited to present papers at international conferences and to participate in expert meetings by the UN Commission for International Trade Law (UNCITRAL), the European Commission and the European Parliament. He is a fellow of the National Centre for Technology and Dispute Resolutions (UMASS Amherst) and in 2012 he was a Gould Research Fellow at Stanford University.
Online Dispute Resolution, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Civil Procedure, Comparative Law, E-Commerce and Consumer Law.
- Online Dispute Resolution for Consumers in the European Union (Routledge, 2010) 260 pp.
- “Building a Global Redress System for Low-Value Cross-Border Disputes” (with F. Esteban de la Rosa) (2013) 62(2) International Comparative Law Quarterly 407-440.
- “A Comparative Review of Offers to Settle – Would an Emerging Settlement Culture Pave the Way for their Adoption in Continental Europe? (2013) 32(1) Civil Justice Quarterly 42-67.
- “Il Ruolo dell’ADR nelle Controversie Familiari: una Riflessione sull’Offer to Settle fra Giurisdizioni in un Confronto tra Common Law e Civil Law”, in Le Ragioni degli Altri. Mediazione e Famiglia tra Conflitto e Dialogo: una Prospettiva Comparatistica ed Interdisciplinare (Firenze University Press, 2012).
- “Online Dispute Resolution for Consumers -Online Dispute Resolution Methods for Settling Business to Consumer Conflicts” in M. Wahab, E. Katsh, D. Rainey Online Dispute Resolution (Eleven International Publishing, 2012) - 2012 CPR Book Prize.
- “Negocia o Atente a las Consecuencias – La Condena en Costas en los Derechos del Common Law y su Aplicación en el Proceso Civil Español” (with F. Sotelo) (2011) 11(4) inDret Procesal: Revista para el Analisis del Derecho 1-37.
- “Developing Online Dispute Resolution for Consumers in the EU: A Proposal for the Regulation of Accredited Providers” (2011) 19(1) International Journal of Law and Information Technology 1-28.
- “Can I Afford Not to Mediate? Mandatory Online Mediation for European Consumers: Legal Constraints and Policy Issues” (2008) 35(1) Rutgers Computer & Technology Law Journal 1-41.
- “Does the Proposed European Procedure Enhance the Resolution of Small Claims?” (2008) 27 Civil Justice Quarterly 83-97.
- “An Analysis of the UDRP Experience: Is It Time for Reform?” (2008) 24 Computers Law and Security Report 349-359.
Full publication list (pdf, 116kb)
Civil Justice System, Contract Law, and Civil Dispute Resolution Methods.
Pablo welcomes approaches from prospective doctoral candidates in any field of Alternative Dispute Resolution and/or Civil Procedure, but especially the investigation of the interaction between Mediation and Civil Procedure and Online Dispute Resolution.