Working at Leicester

Working at Leicester

This section of the website contains links and information about day-to-day working life at the University. If there is information that is missing please do feed this back to us via 

Employment at Leicester

HR contacts, terms and conditions and job vacancies. 

Research support

Support for Research activity at the University. 

How do I…?

Frequently asked questions. 


Visit the University Library site.

Training and personal development

Staff development courses including IT training. 

IT support

Visit the IT Services site.

Safety, health and wellbeing

Occupational health, counselling and safety. 

Campus facilities

Catering, room bookings, bookshop, library, sport and more.

Financial matters

Wages, pensions and purchasing information.

Trade unions

UCU, Unison and Unite.

Travel and parking

Parking permits, travel information and maps. 


Visit the Blackboard site.


Environment, sustainability, recycling and more.

Web site support

Visit the Web Centre.

Teaching support

Using Blackboard, timetabling, exams, training and careers support.

Important dates

Terms, semesters and othe dates for the diary.

Children on campus (PDF)

Policy for staff who bring their children onto campus.


Protecting children, young people and vulnerable adults.


How do I...?


...add something to this list?

If there is something which you know how to do and think other people should know too, please contact


...get a car parking permit?

You can apply for a parking permit through the Car Parking Office, part of Estates and Facilities Management Division. Please see the Car Parking website for details. 


...update or correct course/module information?

Please send any updates or corrections for course or module pages to


...get a library card?

Staff members can apply for a library membership card during staffed opening hours by visiting the David Wilson Library on the main campus. Applicants will need to bring valid proof of ID with them.

Top an incident?

Health and Safety incidents/threats

Injuries, diseases and dangerous occurrences should be reported immediately to Safety Services on extension 2426.


Crimes should be reported to the Police immediately. Leicestershire Constabulary can be contacted on (0116) 222 2222 or in an emergency dial 999.


If you discover a fire, sound the alarm by breaking the glass in the nearest fire alarm call point. Then call the Fire Service – dial 999 or 222.

In addition, it is recommended that you also contact the University’s Security Control Room to alert them to any incident. Ring them on extension (0116) 252 2023 or in an emergency internal number 888.


...set up a meeting?

The three things you may potentially need for a meeting are a room, some audio visual equipment and some catering.

Room Bookings

Use the Rooms Directory to find and request a room.

NB. You must book the room you require before requesting AV equipment.

When communicating the location of your meeting to attendees, please use the full name of the location not just the code, e.g. 'Attenborough Seminar Block Lecture Theatre 3' rather than just 'ATT LT3'.

AV equipment

You can book AV equipment for either a single-session via this webform or for multiple sessions via these PDF forms.

Delivered Catering

You can fill in the catering booking form, give them a call on 0116 252 2212 or email



...arrange a shredding collection?

ShredPro take our shredding once a month. If you have any bags to go complete a shredding request form.  Shredding bags can be obtained from Estates, email


...order a key or swipe card?

Replacement or additional keys can be ordered by email from Estates; please note that this can take up to four weeks. Estates are also responsible for issuing and updating swipe cards.


...find a first aider?

Safety Services have a list on their website of all currently certificated First Aiders.

In addition Departments and Divisions Administrators should have up to date local lists of their First Aid trained staff.


...find out key dates?

Key dates are currently spread across the following sites:


...get web/Plone training?

There are two ways to learn the basics of creating/maintaining websites: go on an IT/Staff Development training course or book a one-to-one session with the Webteam.


Staff intending to develop a new Plone site must attend these three courses:

For a simple introduction to Plone or to discuss how Plone can cater for your specific requirements, you can book a one-to-one session with someone from the Webteam.


...arrange IT access for new staff?

A new staff IT account can only be created when HR has processed their application for employment and issued them an employee number. Once their employee number has been given, your Departmental IT Contact (DITC) (login required) can then request a Staff IT account.

More information about using your University IT account can be found on the IT Services website.


...find a porter?

The Portering Service is available throughout normal working hours daily (7.00am to 7.00pm) except weekends and public and University Holidays. Call extension 2599 or

Departmental moves

For portering assistance with departmental moves, please contact the Portering Service at least seven days before the move.


...get a name badge?

Name badges can be ordered directly from our supplier, Recognition Express. How to order a badge.


...launch a new academic programme?

A short guide to the process can be found on the Planning Office website.

Top a University Powerpoint template?

A range of downloadable templates, in the University's pallette of colours and with the University's logo, can be downloaded from the Design section of the Marketing and Communication site.

Top a fault in a building?

All faults or repairs should be reported to the maintenance help desk.


...advertise postgraduate funding opportunities?

Funding opportunities for prospective taught and research postgraduate students can be advertised through the Graduate School website.

You can email the details of your advert to making sure to include:

  • Funding opportunity title
  • Type of opportunity (full/partial studentship, scholarship award, Graduate Teaching/Research Assistant post, etc.)
  • Instructions on how to make informal enquiries and make an application
  • Entry requirements/eligibility criteria
  • Links to further information

Top any problems with the gardens or grounds?

The Horticultural Service is responsible for the maintenance of lawns, trees, shrub borders, seasonal bedding displays, general weed control and at academic sites the clearance of litter, snow and ice. You can contact the service directly via Geoff Sadler or call 0116 271 7725.


...order first aid supplies for my office?

Contact the Safety Services team or call extension 2426 for first aid supplies and information


 ...request a DBS form for a member of staff or a student?

The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) helps employers make safer recruitment decisions and prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children. It replaced the old Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) and the Independent Safeguarding Authority (ISA).

If you think you may need a DBS Disclosure, you should email: (students), or (staff)

...with brief details of why you think you may require the Disclosure.



 ...request a new Blackboard module site?

Visit the Blackboard 'How do I...? pages for more information.

A range of Blackboard VLE and e-Learning courses are available via the Leicester Learning Institute


 ...make an appointment to see a Staff Counsellor?

The Counselling Service is offered by appointment only, Monday to Friday, between 9.00am and 5.00pm. Email to book an appointment or visit the Staff Wellbeing site for more information.


...get University Insurance?

The University's Insurance Services Office can provide staff and students with a wealth of information about how to arrange all types of insurance whether it be for activities at the University, traveling abroad, motor insurance for hired vehicles or personal belongings.


...reserve a car parking space for a visitor?

Visitor parking is limited on Campus, however visitor permits to hunt for a space can be provided by the Car Parking Office by completing the application form, an e-mailable visitors parking permit will then be issued.   Alternative public car parks and travel options can be found on the maps page.


...take precautions against bicycle theft on campus?


The University of Leicester Coded Cycle Scheme is aimed at reducing the incidents of cycle theft on University property.  The scheme involves a series of measure to promote cycle security and is supported by the Students' Union and Leicestershire Constabulary.

Information about the Coded Cycle Scheme is available via the Safety and Security website.  For more on cycling, see the Environment Team bicycle page.


...find out about copying documents for my research and teaching?

The University Library provides useful information about using copyright material


...request material for the library?

The University Library welcomes suggestions from academic staff for book, journal and electronic resources purchases.


...find out about Open Access publishing?

The University Library has information about the University's Open Access policy and how to make your publications Open Access.


...tell people about a forthcoming event?

Use this event submission form to send details of forthcoming events - public and internal - to the Press Office..


If there is something you would like to see answered via the How do I...? section please email

Training and personal development

Tutor writing on flip chartLearning and Professional Development opportunities are made available for staff at the University of Leicester through the Leicester Learning Institute (LLI). 

An extensive range of events and courses, is available, on both specialised and general topics, for groups of staff and individual staff members.

The Leicester Learning Institute also supports departments and teams by helping to identify specific needs and by providing targeted development opportunities depending on the specific focus – for example, through contribution to Away Days.

If you would like to learn more about the professional and learning development offered by and through LLI, please contact the Leicester Learning Institute via one of the following:

IT training

IT training is jointly provided by Leicester Learning Institute and IT Services. Training available includes:

  • Essential computer skills
  • Office 2010 (Access, Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
  • Blackboard
  • Adobe Presenter
  • Website development and Plone (presented jointly with Marketing Communications)
  • SPSS and NVivo
  • Corporate systems such as Business Objects and eVision

Safety, health and wellbeing

There are a range of services and facilities available to members of staff at the University to encourage health and wellbeing.

Staff Wellbeing

The Staff Counselling and Wellbeing service provides a range of confidential counselling and support services specifically for members of staff.

Safety Services

Safety Services provide advice on health and safety matters, monitor health and safety (including accident investigation), and maintain health and safety policies.

Occupational Health

Responsible for health surveillance (ie. the monitoring of employee health following a risk assessment), including medical testing and vaccinations.

Referrals to Occupational Health should normally be through your line manager and Personnel.


The Chaplaincy Centre (The Gatehouse) is on University Road, just opposite the Mayor's Walk entrance to the University. All members of the University, staff and students, of any faith or none, are welcome to use its facilities. The Roman Catholic Church and the Church of England have full-time Chaplains. Other Christian and world faith traditions are also represented in the University.

Sports and Recreation at Leicester

Members of staff are invited to make use of the sports and recreation facilities available at the University.

Key contacts

Travel and parking

Maps and directions

Please refer all visitors to the Maps section of the website.

See also: BBC Leicester travel info

Parking permits

Parking around and on campus is limited. However you can apply for a parking permit from Estates and Facilities Management.

Visitor parking on campus is limited, so please pre-book a visitor's parking permit through the Car Parking Office.

Visit the Travel pages for information about car park closures and traffic management.

Advice about alternative travel to campus

The limitations of campus parking and the University's commitment to reduce its carbon footprint make sustainable transport options beneficial to everyone. Visit the University's travel pages to find out about our Travel Plan.



For transport matters, see Travel and Parking

The University recognises that its activities have the potential for both positive and negative impacts upon the environment at local, national and global levels.  We are committed to delivering a more cost efficient institution that meets its environmental responsibilities and one that can demonstrate control of its ethical and social impacts.

The Environment Team, is responsible for generating environmental improvements for the University. The Team is supported by a network of Environmental Co-ordinators, one for each building. 

Useful links



The link address is:

Campus facilities

For parking facilities, see Travel and Parking


  • Leicester Conferences is the dedicated conferencing and events team within the University of Leicester.

cafe in the David Wilson Library

Food and drink

Contact the Catering Service:, ext. 2212

IT services

For all IT-related queries, contact the Service Desk on ext. 2253 or

Exterior shot of the David Wilson Library


During term, the David Wilson Library is open 24 hours from 9.00am Sunday until midnight Friday, and Saturday 9.00am until midnight. The Library is open 24/7 during the January and May exam periods.

Print and design

Design Services and Print Services are both located in the Fielding Johnson South Wing.

a projector

Room bookings

Please note that AV equipment for a room must be booked separately to the room itself.

Security and maintenance

The Security Office is in the Security Lodge next to the Fielding Johnson Building.

people using the equipment at the Greenhouse gym

Sport and recreation

See also Clubs and Societies

Attenborough Arts Centre

Attenborough Arts Centre (formerly Embrace Arts) is the place for arts and education. As the University of Leicester's arts centre offers opportunities to participate without barriers in ways that challenge and inspire. People can engage with the arts as audiences, performers and learners.

Botanic Gardens

At Beaumont Hall in Oadby there is a sixteen acre botanic garden. The garden has an array of interesting features, including an arboretum, a herb garden, woodland and herbaceous borders, rock gardens, a water garden, the National Collections of Skimmia, Aubrieta, hardy Fuchsia and Lawson's Cypress, and a series of glasshouses displaying temperate and tropical plants, alpines and succulents.

Trade unions

campus3.jpgThere are three recognised trade unions at the University:

UCU (University and Colleges Union)

UCU is the largest trade union and professional association for academics, lecturers, trainers, researchers and academic-related staff working in further and higher education throughout the UK. it was formed in 2006 by the amalgamation of the Association of University Teachers and NATFHE - The University  and College Lecturers' Union.


Unite is Britain's biggest union, formed by a merger between the T&G and Amicus, and has two million members in every type of workplace. At Leicester it represents clerical and technical staff.


UNISON is Britain and Europe's biggest public sector union with more than 1.3 million members. At Leicester it represents manual and ancillary staff and craft trades.

Name badges

University name badges are now available to order directly from the supplier Extravaganza UK at a special rate of £4.32 per badge (excluding VAT and delivery). For large orders the price can be reduced further and Extravaganza will advise accordingly.

Please process your order directly including the relevant name(s) and job title(s) along with your Purchase Order. You will be able to view a proof version before production.

Alternatively, contact 0116 285 2417 or if you have any further questions.

Badges are usually produced and delivered within one week.

Badge Specification

  • Size: 73mm x 44mm, plastic, laser-printed.
  • Fixing: clip/pin as standard, or a magnet fitting can be applied instead at an additional cost of 65p each.
  • Spec (University approved): White background, full colour logo. Black text for name/position/department.

If you have any queries about name badges, please contact the Creative Team,

Share this page: