International Postgraduate Research (PGR) Excellence Scholarship
|Funded PhD Studentship|
Agreed Subject to Research Project
International Applicants Only
Application Close Date
1 June 2017 APPLY NOW
The College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities contains some of the leading research departments in the UK.
The deadline for applications is 1st June 2017.
Applications received after this date will not be considered.
- Awards will be granted to the strongest applicants based on an assessment of your:
- research proposal
- academic record and
- supporting references
- You must be an international (non-EU) fee paying applicant.
- You must be able to commence studies in September 2017 as a full-time campus based student or part time Distance Learning student.
- You must have obtained a first class or upper second class undergraduate degree or an equivalent overseas qualification in a relevant subject.
- You must have obtained a Masters’ degree in a relevant subject.
- You must possess the required English language qualification.
or show evidence of achieving this by September 2017.
- Explore the University of Leicester’s research areas (College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities) and ensure supervision is offered in your area of study.
- Draft a research proposal. Please refer to the guidelines for research proposals on the relevant subject page you wish to research.
- Prepare your supporting documents:
a.) Supply copies of all relevant certificates/diplomas and transcripts (You must provide official copies of your transcripts including explanations of the mark schemes used). Supporting documents that are not in English must be provided with a certified English translation.
b.) You must also provide contact details for two academic referees who can comment on your suitability for the research degree programme.
- Submit your application online - In the Funding Section of the application please can you select Studentship in the Dropdown Menu. In the next dropdown select 'Other' and add PGR Excellence Scholarship 2017 in the ‘please specify’ section. If you have any other sources of funding please add these as prompted
If you have already submitted your PhD application for 2017 entry, meet the criteria and would like to be considered for this Scholarship please email email@example.com with your request before 1 June 2017 deadline. Please include your name, application ID number and the PhD programme you have applied for.
Informal enquiries are welcomed and should be directed to PGR Admissions:
Terms and Conditions
- The College of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities must be able to supply supervision in your chosen area of study.
- Scholarships are only available to new postgraduate research applicants studying on campus or by distance learning.
- Scholarships are only available to self-funded students.
- Scholarships cannot be combined with any other scholarship or discount.
- £15,000 payable as a fee discount over a 3 year period (£5,000 fee discount each year for 3 years).
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Applications that do not include a full research proposal and the required supporting documents will not be considered.
- Due to the high volume of applications only successful applicants will be notified of their eligibility.
- In the Funding Section of the application please can you select Studentship in the Dropdown Menu. In the next dropdown select Other and add PGR Excellence Scholarship 2017 in the ‘please specify’ section..
Choose the University of Leicester
The University of Leicester is one of the UK's leading universities, committed to international excellence through the creation of world changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching.