Job Seekers Allowance: Contribution based

Qualifying Criteria for Job Seekers' Allowance Contribution Based

Job Seekers' Allowance contribution-based is a non-income assessed benefit. In order to qualify you must satisfy all the Basic Rules of Entitlement  AND you must have paid (or been credited with) sufficient national insurance contributions in one of the two complete tax years before the start of the calendar year in which you claim.  Self-employed contributions do not qualify for contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance.  See further information on National Insurance and Benefits.

It does not matter how much money you have in savings but if you have part-time earnings or an occupational/personal pension, this may affect how much you receive. If you earn too much, you will not be able to receive Job Seekers' Allowance contribution-based . All other types of income such as student funding or partner's wages do not affect your award.

Who Can Receive Job Seekers' Allowance Contribution Based?

You can only received Job Seekers' Allowance contribution-based for yourself.  You cannot receive any additional amount for your partner if you are claiming as a member of a couple. However, you may be entitled to Job Seekers Allowance Income Based  on top of, or instead of,  Job Seekers' Allowance contribution-based which does include amounts for your partner.

How much is Job Seekers' Allowance Contribution Based?

The amount of Job Seekerss Allowance Contribution Based you receive is determined by your age:

• Single under 25         £53.45
• Single 25+                £67.50

Job Seekers' Allowance contribution-based is paid for a maximum of six months. After that, you can nstead be considered for Job Seekers Allowance Income Based which depends upon your income and savings.


Share this page:

Contact us

Student Welfare Service
1st Floor Percy Gee Building
University of Leicester
University Road

Tel: +44(0)116 223 1185
Fax: +44(0)116 223 1196

Student Finance A- to Z

Welfare Service

General Welfare