Full-time Students who are eligible to claim Job Seekers Allowance

Who Can Claim Job Seekers' Allowance?

As a full-time student you can only claim Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) if you fall into one of the categories below :

  • Student couple with a child: If you are a couple, your partner is also a full-time student and you have a dependent child you can claim JSA during the summer vacation only;
  • Student’s partner: If you are part of a couple and your partner is not a student, s/he may be entitled to make a claim for both of you;
  • In “temporary suspense from University” (without residence) because of illness or caring responsibilities and you have recovered or your caring responsibilities have ceased but you can't resume studies until your course's resumption of studies date.

If you meet one or more of these conditions you may be eligible to claim Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) if you also meet the Basic Rules of Entitlement.

If you do NOT meet any of these conditions YOU will not be eligible to claim Job Seekers Allowance (JSA).

Share this page:

Contact us

Student Welfare Service
1st Floor Percy Gee Building
University of Leicester
University Road

Tel: +44(0)116 223 1185
Fax: +44(0)116 223 1196
Email: welfare@le.ac.uk

Student Finance A- to Z

Welfare Service

General Welfare