Full Time Students Who are Eligible to Claim Income Support

As a full-time student you can only claim Income Support if you fall into one of the categories below:

  • Lone parents: If you are the lone parent of a child under 5:

From 21/05/12 you can only make a new claim for Income Support as a lone parent if your youngest child is under 5. However if you commenced study before 21/05/12 and your youngest child was aged at least 5 on 21/05/12 you retain eligibility to Income Support until you stop being a student OR your only or youngest child reaches the age that Income support would have stopped under the rules when you started the course. Before 24/11/08 the age limit was 16; before 26/10/09 the age limit was 12 and before 25/10/10 the age limit was 10. Between 25/10/10 and 20/05/12 the age limit was 7.

  • Fostering a child: If you foster a child under 16 (or under 20 and in "relevant education") through a local authority and are not a member of a couple;
  • SUMMER VACATION ONLY - Lone parent or couple who are both full-time students and responsible for a child under 16 (or under 20 and in "relevant education") AND are entitled to claim Income support ;
  • Disabled student: This is only applicable if you are in receipt of Income Support as a disabled person prior to commencing studies otherwise you must make a claim to Employment Support Allowance ;
  • Student's partners: If you are part of a couple and your partner is not a student and fits into one of the eligibility categories for Income Support s/he is entitled to make a claim for both of you;

If you meet one or more of these conditions you may be eligible to claim Income Support if you also meet the Basic Rules of Entitlement .

If you do not meet any of these conditions YOU will not be eligible to claim Income Support.  

Share this page:

Contact us

Student Welfare Service
1st Floor Percy Gee Building
University of Leicester
University Road

Tel: +44(0)116 223 1185
Fax: +44(0)116 223 1196
Email: welfare@le.ac.uk

Student Finance A- to Z

Welfare Service

General Welfare