Full-Time Students Who Are Eligible to Claim Housing Benefit

As a full-time student you can only claim Housing Benefit if you fall into one of the categories below :

  • In receipt of Income Support
  • In receipt of Jobseekers Allowance 
  •  Lone parents: If you are the lone parent of a child under 16 (or under 20 and in "relevant education")
  • Pensioners: If your partner has reached the qualifying age for pension credit
  •  Students with disabilities:

• Student couples with a child: If you are a couple, your partner is also a full-time student and you have a dependent child

• Responsible for a boarded child: If you are single and caring for a child boarded out with you by the local authority/voluntary organisation

• Student's partner: If you are part of a couple and your partner is not a student, s/he is entitled to make a claim for both of you

If you meet one or more of these conditions you may be eligible to claim Housing Benefit if you also meet the Basic Rules of Entitlememt .

If you do NOT meet any of these conditions YOU will not be eligible to claim Housing Benefit.  

Share this page:

Contact us

Student Welfare Service
1st Floor Percy Gee Building
University of Leicester
University Road

Tel: +44(0)116 223 1185
Fax: +44(0)116 223 1196
Email: welfare@le.ac.uk

Student Finance A- to Z

Welfare Service

General Welfare