Full-Time Students Who Are Eligible to Claim Housing Benefit
As a full-time student you can only claim Housing Benefit if you fall into one of the categories below :
- In receipt of Income Support
- In receipt of Jobseekers Allowance
- Lone parents: If you are the lone parent of a child under 16 (or under 20 and in "relevant education")
- Pensioners: If your partner has reached the qualifying age for pension credit
- Students with disabilities:
- If you qualify for a disability premium or severe disability premium with your Housing Benefit (i.e. you receive Disability Living Allowance; Long-Term Incapacity Benefit (IB)) or are regsitered blind
- If you have been incapable of work for the last 28 weeks, you are eligible for Housing Benefit for the duration of your incapacity
- If you receive Disabled Students Allowance because of deafness
• Student couples with a child: If you are a couple, your partner is also a full-time student and you have a dependent child
• Responsible for a boarded child: If you are single and caring for a child boarded out with you by the local authority/voluntary organisation
• Student's partner: If you are part of a couple and your partner is not a student, s/he is entitled to make a claim for both of you
If you meet one or more of these conditions you may be eligible to claim Housing Benefit if you also meet the Basic Rules of Entitlememt .
If you do NOT meet any of these conditions YOU will not be eligible to claim Housing Benefit.