Information for students with mobility difficulties
The AccessAbility Centre offers students with mobility difficulties:
- assistance with pre-entry discussions and visits
- assistance with applying for the Disabled Students’ Allowance and with the ordering of equipment
- negotiated one-to-one support sessions with regular review
- appropriate examination arrangements
- assistance to help you get to know routes round the campus
- forms for parking permits on campus
- support as you set up personal assistance with agencies or Social Services
- limited space for the storage of wheelchairs and equipment on campus
- liaison, with your agreement, with academic staff and departments.
Every effort will be made to provide facilities and support appropriate to your individual requirements.
There is a range of catered or self-catering accommodation, with and without, en-suite rooms. Further information is available from the Accommodation Service (tel 0116 252 2428 or fax 0116 252 5134).
The University’s libraries also offer various services: for an information leaflet contact 0116 252 2042, email email@example.com or visit the Library web-pages for students with disabilities.
Most departments are located on the main, compact campus and most buildings are accessible. Toilets suitable for use by wheelchair users are located in most University buildings. Some postgraduate departments are housed in Victorian buildings and these have been difficult to make fully accessible, although access is usually possible to the ground floor. Teaching usually takes place in accessible buildings. The University endeavours to continue to adapt buildings and a location map gives guidance on the accessibility of buildings. Copies of the map are available from the AccessAbility Centre. Further detailed information about the accessibility of campus buildings and services is available on the Disabled Go website.
Parking permits for any site are available for students with mobility difficulties. Confirmation of your circumstances will be required. There are designated parking spaces for disabled drivers on the main campus and at least one at each of the outlying sites.