The hour after...
- Water and energy drinks are your best friends, make sure to drink at the finish line
- Your first meal should contain a type of carb; pasta, rice, potatoes, bread, cereal etc, these will replace the energy you've lost during the race
The day after...
- Don't train!
- Feeling an anti-climax is normal, thinking of new challenges is also normal
- Eat and drink regularly, this will speed up recovery
The week after...
- Your muscles may still be aching, so don't be surprised
- Start some low impact exercise, like swimming or cycling, and if you feel up to it some light gym workouts
- Get a massage!
The month after...
Know your limits, don't put yourself at risk training for another event before you are ready. If the urge to compete again is overwhelming, try a half marathon or a 10k run