5-a-side match rules
Normal Association Footbal Rules apply, except for the adjustments below.
- Each game is of one 20-minute period or until the end of the time allowed for the match to be played – whichever is the sooner.
- Goals can be scored from any part of the pitch.
- There are unlimited substitutions.
- Substitutions can be made only when play has been stopped.
- A player substituted may return to the game as a substitute himself.
- All four walls may be used but if the ball travels behind the goal it is the goalkeeper’s ball
- Players may be ‘Sin Binned’* for five minutes if necessary.
- The ball must be kept below head height. If not, an indirect free kick to the opposite team from the place where the ball was kicked shall be awarded.
- If the ball comes off the keeper and goes high it is “goalkeeper’s ball”.
- Players must not use their hands on the wall for support or as an aid to shield the ball.
- Goalkeepers can only bowl the ball out under arm. They must not kick it out.
- Goalkeepers are not allowed outside their area. If a goalkeeper deliberately comes out of his area a penalty shall be awarded to the opposite side.
- Opposition must stand 2 metres away from the ball at free kicks.
- A player may take only a 2-step approach to kick a penalty.
- No slide tackles are allowed.
- Restart after a goal with a throw-out by the beaten goalkeeper.
- All matters of dispute should be raised with the League Administrator and their decision is final.
- Captains must fill in and sign the result card at reception immediately after their game ends.
- If the ball goes out of bounds, the ball is given to the opposition’s keeper.
- One player can only play for one team
- No other players may enter the goalkeepers area:-
- If an attacker deliberately enters the area, it is the goalkeeper’s ball;
- If a defender deliberately enters the area it is a penalty.
* an area off the field of play where a player who has committed a foul can be sent to sit for a specified period