Requesting a Letter

The University is able to provide you with a variety of letters which you may need during your studies to confirm your student status. You can request a letter by either:

  • Visiting the Student Services Zone (campus map).
  • Emailing the Student Services Zone. Remember to include your student number and correspondence address (if you wish your letter to be posted). 

The Registry will contact you when your letter is ready. If you would prefer, you can call in to the Student Services Zone to collect your document (campus map). You must present your student card or another form of photo identification in order to collect your letter. We regret that others will not be able to collect letters on your behalf.

Unfortunately we cannot take letter requests over the telephone.

Types of letter

Certificate of registration

This confirms your status as a student for the current academic year, and can be used for:

  • Inviting visitors to the UK
  • Police registration for overseas students
  • Council Tax exemption
Bank letter Providing we have a record of both your 'term-time' and 'home' address we can produce a letter that will allow you to open a UK bank account. Please specify which bank you wish to open an account with.
Schengen visa letter If you are a non-EU student travelling in Europe you can request a Schengen visa letter. Please specify your travel destination. (If you are planning on visiting France or Spain the letter may take up to five working days to produce).
Fees letter This letter lists your paid/outstanding fees can be requested from the Fees Payments Office.
Award letter

Once you have successfully completed your course we can produce a letter that verifies your qualification. This letter can be used for:

  • Proof of qualification for employers
  • Proof of qualification for admission into further courses of study or professional bodies
  • By Chinese students returning home with a UK qualification
CAS number

If you are an international full-time student with a student visa that will expire before your course finishes then you may be eligible to apply for a CAS number. This will enable you to apply to the Home Office to renew your visa.

Please note that you should submit your application for a CAS number no later than one month before your visa expires.


If you require a letter that is not in the list above, please contact the Student Services Zone to discuss your requirements.

Share this page: