Frequently asked questions

Do I have to register online?"

Yes. Online registration is mandatory for all new and returning students for each year of study. If there is a reason why you should not register online you will be notified separately.

Can I get someone to register for me?"

No, you must register online yourself. Remember to never give your personal login details to somebody else.

Is there a deadline for me to register?"

Yes. All students must complete online registration before the deadline specified for the course. It is in your best interests to register as soon as possible. You are not considered to be a student of the University unless you complete this process and you will not be able to access any of our resources or facilities.

How much are my tuition fees?"

Your tuition fee depends on how long you have been studying at the University, what course you are doing or whether you are a UK, EU or International student. Information on fee charges and how to pay can be found on the Finance web pages.

Can I register if I have debts outstanding from the previous year?"

No. You have to clear all your debts from the previous academic year before you can re-register on another year of your course. You can do this immediately via our e-payments website.

Do I have to pay my fees before I can register?"

You have to pay or have made arrangements to pay at least the first instalment of your fees before you can register.

If a sponsor is paying your fees on your behalf then you will need to have given the Fees Payments Office written confirmation of this sponsorship.

If you are a home student and you are studying for an undergraduate degree then you can defer payment of your fees by taking out a tuition fee loan.

When will I receive my first instalment of my student loan?"

The Student Loans Company will normally pay your student loan into your bank account by electronic transfer (BACS) within 3 - 5 working days of receiving notification from the University that you are in attendance. We cannot send confirmation of your attendance until you complete online registration.

I am an international student from outside the European Union what do I need to bring to central registration?"

You must bring your valid passport and visa/biometric card. You will NOT be able to complete the visa checkpoint without these documents. The University must hold details of your entitlement to study in the UK in order to meet our sponsor obligations under tier 4 of the points based immigration system.

What if I am returning to University following a break in my studies?"

If you have taken a suspension from your studies then you may need to provide additional information before you can re-register onto your course. If this is required you will be written to before your expected date of return with instructions on how to register.

I’ve made a payment of my tuition fees, but I still can’t register.
What should I do?"

If you are experiencing problems with online registration and you have paid the full fee or the full first instalment of your fees, then you will need to contact the Fees Payments Office to check that this has gone through properly. Please be aware that it can take up to 48 hours for payment to clear before you can proceed with online registration.

My online registration login details are not recognised. How should I proceed?"

It may be that you are not entering your details correctly or we have not had confirmation from the Admissions Office that you have accepted your offer of a place on the course. You will be given an error message when you attempt to login to online registration, which will give you instructions on how to proceed.

What should I do if I’ve lost my student ID card?"

If you have lost your student ID card, please go to the reception desk in the Fielding Johnson Building. The receptionist will check if your card has been found or refer you to the Student Services Desk for a replacement. There is a charge of £6 for a replacement card.

I am a new student. How do I collect my student ID card?"

If you are a new UK or EU student you will collect your library card at departmental induction. If you are a new international student you will be issued with your card when you complete the visa checkpoint.

What should I do if I’ve registered for my IT account, but I cannot access my email?"

If you have registered for your IT account and have your correct login details, then it is likely to be a technical difficulty you are experiencing and you should contact IT Services.

I’ve registered, but I haven’t received my confirmation email. What should I do?"

It can take up to 24 hours for your confirmation email to be sent after you have completed online registration. If you do not receive anything after this time, please contact us.

Share this page: