Well-Mad Leicester cyclist sets off round the world
A unique global cycle challenge will set off from the Clock Tower in Leicester on Saturday 2 April 2011 at 10am. The gruelling ride is expected to take 180 days, pass through 20 countries and raise £100,000 for two charities.
Ian Reeds, a former elite racing cyclist, now an archaeological technician working at the University of Leicester, will be cycling through countries as far flung as Australia, USA and China, and while ‘well-mad’ may be an apt description of such a crazy challenge, the name actually represents the two cities on his route at opposite ends of the world, Wellington (New Zealand) and Madrid (Spain).
- A press pack with further details about the ride, the bike, route, the charities, the schools project, Challenge team and sponsors, and a map of the route are available on: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/press/media-centre/well-mad-ride.
- Ian hopes to raise £50,000 each for the MS Society, a UK wide charity supporting people with Multiple Sclerosis, and the Leicestershire and Rutland charity Hope Against Cancer, which currently funds 14 cancer research projects at the University of Leicester.
- His progress can be charted on http://wellmadride.org/, where there is also information on the charities and an opportunity to donate to them.
- Ian is a former racing champion who competed in most of the top UK races. He was both regional champion and rode for England.
- He is riding a bicycle specially built for him by Websters Cycles (Leicester).
- The solar panels on his panniers will automatically recharge all his electrical equipment as he goes along.
- Ian will visit schools as he goes along, posting interviews and pictures on his website so that children worldwide can learn more about the lives and customs of others.
- Sponsors for the Well-Mad Ride global cycle challenge are: the University of Leicester, Hullabaloo Visual Communications, Websters Cycles, Stanfords Map Shop, Pick Everard architectural and engineering partnership, Cyclemagic, Eurostar and Cotswold Outdoor.
- Contact details: