Before you give a presentation
Before you go to give a presentation you might want to work your way through this checklist.
- I have rehearsed my presentation.
- I have rehearsed my presentation in front of a mirror.
- I have given my presentation a trial run to a friend or colleague.
- I have checked that my presentation runs to the time allotted.
- I have taped/videoed myself and listened back to it.
- I have prepared speaker notes or cue cards.
- I have annotated my notes to help me get the emphasis right.
- I have thought about where to breath.
- I have numbered my notes in case I drop them.
- I have prepared any visual aids that I may need.
- I have prepared any handouts that I wish to give out.
- I have checked my facts.
- I have done a grammar/spelling check.
- I have confirmed that the audio-visual equipment I require will be in the room.
- I have saved my PowerPoint presentation onto at least two formats (disc/USB/hard drive/email ).
- I have practised using any unfamiliar technology that I am going to use.
- I have sourced an alternative version of any audio or video material (DVD and VHS)
- I have seen the room that I am going to be presenting in or had it described to me.
- I have turned off my mobile phone.
- I have checked the start time.
Audience and Other Speakers
- I have thought about who is going to be in the audience.
- I have brainstormed a list of likely questions that I may be asked.
- I have found out who else will be speaking and what they will be speaking about.
- I have thought about any special needs my audience may have.
- I have thought about ways to engage the audience in my presentation.
- I have got enough sleep the night before.
- I have considered how to combat my nervousness.
- I have thought about my personal appearance.
- I have looked after my health in the week preceding the presentation.
- I have brought a bottle of water to drink if my throat gets dry.
- I have thought about what else I am going to be doing that day.
- I've eaten breakfast.
Please use the add comment button to suggest anything that you think should be added to this list.