New Telephone System
The University is upgrading its phone system to enable us to have more phones, more extension numbers and take advantage of new technology developments. The existing system is almost 30 years old and in need of renewal. This project will involve replacing all telephone handsets, and in some cases installing new cabling and sockets, so will take until at least 2014.
The upgrade to the new phone system is being undertaken by IT Services who now have responsibility for the telephone service across the University.
The new phones offer improvements such as:
- A large screen to simplify the control of the features of the phone
- Caller display – so that you can see the name or number of the person calling you
- Voicemail – now available to all staff. Allowing callers to leave messages that can be picked up on the move from any phone anywhere or via email.
- Have unanswered calls diverted around a team
- Smart keys – one button access to those numbers you call all the time.
You may keep your existing telephone number with the new service
By 2015 all handsets will be replaced by the new telephones. See the timeline for more information.