Launch of OneDrive for Staff
OneDrive is similar to your Personal Z: drive, but allows you to access your files on mobile devices or anywhere you have access to a browser.
Avoid sending attachments in emails, but instead share documents with your colleagues and allow them to contribute.
OneDrive has been available for students for a while and is now available for staff and postgraduate researchers.
If you’re still using a USB memory stick, it’s now time to use OneDrive!
How do I access my OneDrive?
- Go to office365.le.ac.uk
- Click on the OneDrive tile
If you are off-campus, you will need to login using your University IT account username and password. In some cases (e.g. if you access OneDrive using portal.office.com) you may need to enter your full email address (e.g. email@example.com).
Office Online and Mobile apps
Setup and use a PIN
As part of ensuring your University data is safe and secure you will need to setup a PIN to access Microsoft apps that use University IT account data on your mobile device. This applies to any apps you might have installed currently e.g. Yammer and Skype for Business. You will not need to enter a PIN for any personal accounts you have setup.
Save to OneDrive in Office programs
You will notice that when you save a file in Word, Excel or PowerPoint there are more options:
- OneDrive - University of Leicester. Use this to save to your new OneDrive
- Computer. Click on Computer to save files to your Personal Z: drive or Shared Departmental X: drive
Visit the OneDrive section on the IT Services website for help with using your University OneDrive.
What could I use OneDrive for?
These are some suggestions for how to use your new OneDrive
- Access my documents when I am not on campus, so I don’t need to use a USB memory stick or download them to my personal laptop. You can use:
- Allow a colleague (anyone with a University IT account) to review and contribute to a document in my OneDrive. See get started with OneDrive.
- Create meeting notes using OneNote online and share them with the attendees