Software purchase and installation
These policies and regulations enable the University to:
- Ensure that all software is licensed appropriately and thus protecting the University and individuals from prosecution
- Know what software is being used so that it can be supported and updated regularly
- Ensure value for money, for example, by having an overview of requirements it may be possible to buy a University-wide license which could mean more features and wider access. Or there may already be a licence in place.
Who does it apply to?
Anyone with a University of Leicester IT account.
What are the key things to know?
- All software purchases must be approved by the IT Software Manager in IT Services
- You must not install your own software without approval
- The University must hold copies of all licence agreements
- IT Services can only support software that has been purchased through the University process
- Free evaluation copies of software copy are designed just for that and must not be used as a substitute for purchasing properly licenced software.
- For software purchases from an existing supplier, we will endeavour to make the software available to you within 10 working days.
- For either new suppliers or new software packages from an existing supplier, this process could take longer, up to 28 working days.
- Any software purchases in excess of £10,000 will result in a longer acquisition time, as additional purchasing processes need to be followed.
Contact the IT Service Desk to request a program or purchase new software