You can see Blackboard notifications in four places:
- The Global Navigation menu on the top right of the screen shows a red number if updates are available. Click on Updates to see the details.
- The Notifications Dashboard on the Blackboard Home page contains notifications for all the course sites you are enrolled in.
- Module pages can include notifications for the current course site.
- If you are using the mobile app to access Blackboard, you will see notifications on your mobile device.
|Needs Attention||Student work waiting to be marked
(or survey submitted).
|Alerts||Lists any assignment which is past its due date where students have not submitted their work. It also shows warnings from the Early Warning System and when a Content Collection area is nearing its quota.||Staff|
|What's New||Changes in course sites in the last 7 days.
For example a new assignment or announcement, new content added, unread blog posts or discussion board messages.
|Staff and Students|
|To Do||Assignment deadlines that are approaching or overdue.||Students|
The notifications do not cover Turnitin assignments. They only highlight due dates and submitted work in Blackboard assignments and other types of assessed work such as blogs, wikis and tests.
Click Edit Notification Settings at the top of one of the notification boxes to change how Blackboard shows you the notifications. You can also edit the notification settings by clicking the Global Navigation menu on the top right of the screen and choosing Settings then Edit Notification Settings.
- In the General Settings: Courses section, choose the Individual Messages option if you want to receive an individual email for each change. Choose Daily Email Digest to receive a summary of changes once a day. These settings only take effect if you choose to receive email notifications for your courses.
- By default, notifications are removed from the system after 120 days. You can change this value if you want to.
- Choose whether to receive reminders about due dates and, if so, when you want to receive the reminder.
- The University of Leicester does not use organisations in Blackboard so the options in the General Settings: Organisations section are not relevant to us.
You can change the notification settings for an individual course site by choosing the course site in the Edit Individual Course Settings section.
- The On/Off column turns a notification on or off.
- Select the notifications in the Dashboard column that you want to see in the Notifications Dashboard or a course site module page.
- Select the notifications in the Mobile column for which you want to see a notification on your mobile device.
- Select the notifications in the Email column for which you want to receive an email. The email settings you chose in Edit General Settings will only apply once you have selected some notifications to email.
- Click Submit to save your changes.
Bulk Edit Notification Settings
To change the notification settings for groups of course sites in one go, choose either Courses I am teaching or Courses I am taking in the Bulk Edit Notification Settings section. You can then choose to change the settings for All courses or Selected courses and change settings as described under Edit Individual Course Settings.