The University offers 7-Zip as an alternative to the Windows compression software. 7-Zip is a tool for compressing and uncompressing files using zip formats. You can install 7-Zip by using the Program Installer.
Compress a file using 7-Zip
Open 7-Zip by clicking Start > All Programs > 7-Zip > 7-Zip File Manager
- Select the file you want to compress by finding its location
- Press add and an archive window will open
- If you have no specific compression requirements then select Ok to compress the file
If you choose to password protect a compressed file please be careful to remember the password. IT Services are unable to recover files which have been password protected in 7-Zip.
Decompress a file
To decompress a file:
- Select the file in 7-Zip and choose Extract.
- Choose the location you would like the extracted files to be saved to and press OK.
- The uncompressed file will be saved in the selected location.
A list of compression standards 7-Zip can uncompress and compress to is available in the 7-Zip help files. These can be access by choosing Help > Contents > General Information > Supported Formats.