Modules available for 2016-17
EU referendum result: Incoming or outgoing students currently studying (or about to study in 2016-17) under the Erasmus+ programme are not affected by the UK’s decision to leave the European Union. Your immigration status will not change and you will continue to be eligible to receive Erasmus grant funding until at least as long as the UK remains a member of the EU. For the latest information, please visit: www.le.ac.uk/brexit
Modules (courses/classes) available for request
The departments that offer modules within the Study Abroad/ Erasmus programme are listed in the table below. All courses are subject to change.
Erasmus: All Erasmus students are expected to sit exams.
Study Abroad: Biological Science, Engineering, Geology and Maths students (one semester and full year) are required to stay for the exams in January and/ or June. If you are joining us for one semester in Fall this means that you will be expected to sit the exams alongside degree seeking students in January. If you are joining us for one semester in Spring this means that you will be expected to sit the exams alongside degree seeking students in June. Please check with your home university for semester date overlaps and other conflicts with your travel plans. Often there are similar classes in other departments that do not have these requirements, so please check our full class list for suitable alternatives.
How to choose your module list
Classes/courses at the University of Leicester are called 'modules'. We do not recommend mixing modules from too many different departments or year levels as you are likely to encounter timetabling clashes. Please note that level 300 courses are final year courses at Leicester. To register for a 300 course you must have a substantial background in the subject area. It is your responsibility to ensure that modules taken at Leicester can be taken as an accredited part of your degree programme. Modules numbered in the 100s are first year courses, 200s second year and 300s, 400s, 500s are third (final) year courses. Some departments also offer 700s modules; these are at Master's/Postgraduate level and only available to students studying at that level at their home university.
Some modules are restricted to students majoring in that subject or have specific prerequisites. All modules are subject to availability and may change without notice. All departments reserve the right to refuse students' module choices on academic grounds.
It is your responsibility to ensure that modules taken at Leicester can be taken as an accredited part of your degree programme, please check with your home university to ask if credit transfer is permitted. Erasmus students: Please choose up to 60 credits (30 ECTS) per semester. This is the maximum course load for which you will be registered. Study Abroad students should select 60 University of Leicester credits per semester, or 120 per year. If you are unable to do so please contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can contact your home university coordinator.
Academic department information
- Biological Sciences: Students must apply for modules in the same year code (ex. 100, 200, 300) to avoid timetable clashes.
- Engineering: Taught modules only available. Please note that the majority of these modules are year-long classes and include mandatory exams. If you wish to take Engineering classes we recommend that you join us for a full year placement.
- Management prior-approval deadlines: Places are limited and all requests will be considered up to the application deadline. An applications are for consideration by the department and are not guaranteed. Students can submit a supporting statement with their request. The School of Management will consider your application and you will receive confirmation of whether you will be offered Management modules as soon as possible. Study Abroad students: The deadline for applying for Management modules for Fall 2016 is 24 April 2016. Erasmus students: Management modules are freely available to students of Management from our partners in Lille, Copenhagen, Budapest, Leuven and Amsterdam. All other students must inform the Erasmus Team by 31 May 2016 that they wish to take Management modules. Their request will be considered by the School of Management on a case-by-case basis. Credit transfer: It is important that you contact us directly if you are hoping to transfer credits from this department in order to graduate from your home institution.
- Media and Communication modules are only available to Erasmus students of Media Studies from our partner in Rotterdam. All Study Abroad students can request these modules.
- Natural Sciences: Natural Sciences is an interdisciplinary programme. Its modules run differently from the wider university; instead of two semesters, it runs over five blocks. Please keep this in mind before selecting Natural Sciences modules.
- Politics and International Relations: Third year modules (3000) not available.
- Translation: These modules are only available to native speakers of English, French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese or Arabic, as translation is taught between English and the other languages. Second and final-year modules (2000, 3000) require at least one year's experience in translation studies.
Module Application Form
Please download a copy of the Module Request Form. Once you have completed it with your information and module requests you should submit the form by email to either the Study Abroad Team (email@example.com) or the Erasmus Team (firstname.lastname@example.org) as applicable.