Computer Security Issues
Information Assurance Services works closely with IT Services. IT Services are able to monitor computer and network usage in order to protect University assets and services. Maintaining computer security involves implementing suitable preventative measures, detecting potential vulnerabilities, detecting possible threats, detecting compromised systems and handling incidents.
Any security incident or suspected misuse will be investigated.
The term misuse covers various activities including:
- Hacking unauthorized access to or use of data, systems, server or networks, including any attempt to probe, scan or test the vulnerability of a system, server or network or to breach security or authentication measures without express authorization of the owner of the system, server or network. Members of the University should not run computer programs that are associated with hacking without prior authorisation. Obtaining and using such programs is not typical of normal usage and may therefore otherwise be regarded as misuse.
- Use of University owned computer equipment, including the network, for illegal activities including copying Copyright material without permission. The vast majority of files shared on P2P (peer-to-peer) networks violate copyright law because they were posted without permission of the artist or label.
- Sending abusive e-mails or posting offensive Web pages.
- Creation or transmission of any offensive or indecent images.
- Giving unauthorised access to University computing resources e.g. allowing an account to be used by someone not authorised to use it.
- Deliberately creating or spreading computer viruses or worms.
- Unauthorised running of applications that involve committing the University to sharing its computing resources, e.g. network bandwidth, in an uncontrolled and unlimited way.
Refer to the Information Security Policy for further information about IT and communications systems governance at the University of Leicester.
How to report information security incidents
Information system security incidents (suspected or confirmed) relating to University of Leicester computers, data, networks or people should be reported.