Programme Development Committee
Chair: Mark Thompson
Secretary: Sally Hall, firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of Reference
(i) To encourage the development of existing programmes, and the introduction of new programmes, which are academically and financially robust, and which contribute to the attainment of the University’s strategic goals.
(ii) To receive, and where possible to encourage the bringing forward of, proposals from departments for new programme developments, including substantial amendments to existing provision, and to review these in the light of as many of the following as are applicable to the proposal:
- Recruitment prospects
- The employability of graduates
- Income generation and delivery costs
- Compliance with the University’s strategic objectives
- Departmental plans and any requirements imposed by the Budgets and Resources Committee
- The potential impact on academic and administrative services
- The capacity to utilise e- and distance learning methods
- Opportunities for external funding, including bidding to HEFCE for additional home student numbers
- The impact and desirability of any collaborative provision associated with the programme
- Initial intake and steady-state population, minimum viable intake
- The timetable for programme commencement
- A potential marketing strategy
(iii) To conduct regular reviews of the University’s course profile from strategic and marketing perspectives, including reviews of individual programme titles, and to make recommendations to departments for new developments as required.
(iv) To decide on proposals suitable for endorsement, and to assist departments to develop these further.
(v) To be responsible for considering annually proposals for student fees for future years, taking account of Departmental proposals, and the University’s strategic goals.
(vi) To be responsible for the Course Development Budget, making allocations to schools and departments to provide start-up funds in support of new developments.
(vii) To report on all these matters in the first instance to Budgets and Resources Committee.
(viii) To report also to the Boards of the Faculties and the Board of Graduate Studies on decisions taken in relation to (ii), (iii) and (iv) above, these reports to include formal recommendations for the establishment of Programme Approval Panels.
(a) A Pro-Vice Chancellor, who shall be the Chair of the Budgets and Resources Committee
(b) The Dean of the Faculty of the Social Sciences
(c) The Sub-Dean (Graduate Studies) of the Faculty of Medicine and Biological Sciences
(d) The Graduate Dean
The Director of Marketing
The Director of Distance Learning Administration
The Professor of e-Learning
The Director of the International Office
The Director of Finance (or their representative)
The Librarian (or their representative)
Reports to: Budgets and Resources Committee
Secretariat: Academic and Research Services
Established/Last Amended: 2005