Postal and Courier Services
The University has a dedicated post room located in the Telephone Exchange Building opposite the Fielding Johnson South Wing. The Post Room deals with all internal and external mail, handling in excess of 2 million items of mail each year. The Post Room has negotiated discounts with selected mail service providers and provide a good value service with sometimes as much as a 50% discount on external courier services. The service is managed by Lorraine Saddington.
Personal and Private Mail
The University external mail system is NOT to be used to send out unstamped private mail or parcels as this would incur an unjustified cost to the University. You may however send out stamped letters/parcels bearing the correct level of postage. Any unstamped mail identified as being ‘private’ will be returned and the Head of Department or Division informed.
Please do not use the University as a delivery address for private mail. Although the Post Room will endeavour to deliver private mail to the correct departments, deliveries are made to departmental mail boxes and not the named individual, thus the Post Room will not be liable for any loss or damage to private parcels. The Students' Union have provided secure Amazon Mail Boxes on the lower level of Percy Gee building suitable for personal Amazon deliveries.
What you can expect from us
- Collect all outgoing internal and external mail from departments and buildings for delivery to the Post Room.
- Deliver of all incoming and external mail to departments and buildings.
- Process on that day all outgoing first-class mail received in the Post Room by 16:00 hours.
- Process by 12:30 hours the following day all outgoing second-class mail received in the Post Room by 16:00 hours.
- Sort all internal mail.
- Process bulk mailing in excess of 100 items by 17:30 hours the following day subject to being given 24 hours notice of delivery to the Post Room by the sending department.
- Recharge external outgoing mail to the appropriate Cost Centre.
What we need you to do
For us to maintain this level of service you will need to:
- Place outgoing mail in the labelled bags provided.
- Clearly and adequately label internal mail.
- Book bulk mailing with the Post Room.
There is no charge for delivery and collection of internal mail; the recharging of costs for sending mail externally is done by internal transfer a monthly basis.
The Post Room is open from 7:00 – 17:00 weekdays and 7:00 – 10:00 on Saturdays (for sorting only). Internal and external post is delivered to and collected from University buildings twice daily; please check with the Post Room for the times for your building. Details of external delivery and collection times are posted on the Our Service page.