The emergency contact number for the University is 0116 252 2888, please use this number when you need to call the emergency services, e.g. ambulance.
What we do
The security department is responsible for ensuring a safe environment for staff, students and visitors on campus. They are based in the security lodge which is manned 24/7 and provide regular campus patrols as well as monitoring CCTV coverage of the entire site including the Halls of Residence. They are responsible for responding to all incidents at the University especially responses to intruder and fire alarm activations and are the out of hours contact for University issues. They can be reached on 0116 252 2023 or by emergency on 0116 252 2888.
The Security Lodge is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
The Security Office, for the collection of access cards and lost property is open Monday to Friday at the following times:
Access cards 09:00 - 17:00
Lost property 09:00 - 17:00
D-lock purchase 09:00 - 17:00
What you can expect from us
- Provide advice and guidance for staff and students on security matters.
- Operate a 24 hours, 365 days per year security monitoring control room.
- Regularly patrol University sites.
- Respond to all reported security incidents.
- Liaise with the police and other external agencies on security matters.
- Advise on physical security measures to be implemented.
- Maintain and manage a computerised card access system for University Academic Buildings.
- Maintain and manage a campus wide CCTV system.
- Maintain and manage vehicular entrance barriers to academic sites.
- Provide information for the Police and other external agencies in line with the Data Protection Act.
- Make available CCTV footage to those authorised within the Data Protection Act.
- Control traffic onto the Main Campus.
- Control car parking on all academic sites.
- Record and store “found” property from the main campus, and repatriate to its lawful owner where they are identifiable.
What we need you to do
- Take reasonable precautions to protect yourself and University property.
- Liaise with your department and security staff to ensure that you have the correct access cards.
- Ensure that all losses and thefts of access cards and keys are reported to security as soon as discovered.
- Ensure that any suspicious incidents / persons or criminal activity is reported to security as soon as discovered.
- Lock windows and office doors when not in use.
- Comply with directions given by a member of the security team.
- If authorised to bring a vehicle onto a university site, comply with the parking regulations.
There is no direct charge for any of our services to academic and corporate services departments
For general enquires please email or call Security on 0116 252 2023