The Security Office provides a security service to the University; ensuring a safe community environment for staff, students and visitors. The security Control Room, located in the Security Lodge at Entrance 1, pictured right, operates for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Our Security Team regularly patrol University sites and respond to all reported security incidents. The service maintains and monitors the CCTV and intruder alarm systems and controls the issue of keys and access cards; it is also responsible for traffic control and the issue of parking permits. The Service also offers professional advice on crime prevention and personal safety.
What you can expect from us
- Provide advice and guidance for staff and students on security matters.
- Operate a 24 hours, 365 days per year security monitoring control room.
- Regularly patrol University sites.
- Respond to all reported security incidents.
- Liaise with the police and other external agencies on security matters.
- Advise on physical security measures to be implemented.
- Maintain and manage a computerised card access system for University Academic Buildings.
- Maintain and manage a campus wide CCTV system.
- Maintain and manage vehicular entrance barriers to academic sites.
- Provide information for the Police and other external agencies in line with the Data Protection Act.
- Make available CCTV footage to those authorised within the Data Protection Act.
- Control traffic onto the Main Campus.
- Control car parking on all academic sites.
- Record and store “found” property from the main campus, and repatriate to its lawful owner where they are identifiable.
What we need you to do
- Take reasonable precautions to protect yourself and University property.
- Liaise with your department and security staff to ensure that you have the correct access cards.
- Ensure that all losses and thefts of access cards and keys are reported to security as soon as discovered.
- Ensure that any suspicious incidents / persons or criminal activity is reported to security as soon as discovered.
- Lock windows and office doors when not in use.
- Comply with directions given by a member of the security team.
- If authorised to bring a vehicle onto a university site, comply with the parking regulations.
The Security Lodge is open 24 hours a day 365 days a year.
The Security Office, for the collection of access cards and lost property is open Monday to Friday at the following times:
Access card issue 08:30 - 15:45
Lost property 08:30 - 15:45
Bicycle registration Monday 09:00-15:30
There is no direct charge for any of our services to academic and corporate services departments