Cycle to Work Scheme
University of Leicester staff now have the opportunity to obtain tax-free bikes for work, using Cyclescheme.
Am I eligible for the scheme?
- You must be on the monthly or weekly payroll.
- You must use the bike on journeys or part of journeys between your home and workplace or between one workplace and another in connection with your duties.
- The bike must be ridden for at least 50% of the time on trips to work (note: you do not have to cycle to work at least 50% of the time, but at least 50% of the journeys you make on your bike must be to work (see FAQ 13)).
- The salary sacrifice must not take your pay below the National Minimum Wage. If this applies to you, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the alternative arrangements in place.
How much could I save?
Up to 40%. The Cyclescheme website has a ready reckoner.
How do I join the scheme?
1. Decide you wish to proceed with the scheme - you cannot cancel the hire once it is made. Read the scheme guide here - and don't forget the small print!
2. Visit a cycle shop that is participating in the scheme. A full list can be found on the Cyclescheme website (enter your postcode to find the 10 nearest shops).
3. Select a bicycle and, if desired safety equipment, up to a maximum value (including VAT) of £1,000. This is the legal upper limit and any applications exceeding this will be rejected.
4. The shop will complete a quotation form, retaining the white copy and giving you a yellow copy.
5. Enter the details on to the Cyclescheme webpage specifically for employees of the University of Leicester. DO NOT SEND THE YELLOW COPY TO PAYROLL.
6. The webpage application is automatically sent to Payroll, who will check for eligibility and either authorise or reject your application.
7. Cyclescheme will invoice the University and once this has been paid, a voucher will be sent to your home address by Cyclescheme.
8. Take your voucher to the cycle shop and collect your bike.
9. Insure your bicycle - more details can be found on the Cyclescheme insurance . website
10. Use your bike to cycle to work
Note: depending upon the day/time when you submit your on-line application, the process from application to receipt of voucher may take up to 3 weeks.