Leicester International Summer School
The main aims of this three week course are to help participants to improve their ability in both general and academic English, while also learning more about British culture in enjoyable surroundings. It also aims to give participants an insight into life in the UK and its higher education system.
- Improve your English skills in an academic and friendly environment.
- Discover more about British culture, featuring films, literature, history and museums.
- Find out what it is like to live and study at a renowned British university.
- Make friends with other students from around the world.
- Enhance your CV with an international study experience.
- Experience living in a vibrant and student friendly city situated in the heart of England.
The three week course contains the following:
- A comprehensive induction programme, including an introduction to the City of Leicester.
- Daily English classes in both general and academic English, with special focus on speaking and listening skills.
- Seminars and lectures on British culture, focusing on film studies, museum studies and English literature, with particular emphasis on Shakespeare. To find out more about courses at the University of Leicester in these areas, please click on the links.
- An individual research project and poster presentation.
- Themed weekend excursions aimed at developing knowledge and skills gained in the classroom. More information is provided below.
- Fun evening social activities with participants of other international summer programmes.
- Some free time, making it possible to visit other cities or places of interest independently.
- An end-of-course presentation ceremony and tutor feedback.
|Here is what some previous students have said about the course:|
Listening to other's presentation and explaining my poster was a really good opportunity to improve my English. I enjoyed it very much. Leicester is a very historical city, so I loved the atmosphere. I enjoyed the plays of Shakespeare the most.
The poster presentation was one of the best things. Because of the programme, now I know a lot of things about this beautiful city. The thing I enjoyed most was to talk with native speakers. The programme was bigger than my expectations. The teachers were great and the organisation, too. Thank you!
- Visit historical Stratford-upon-Avon, the birthplace of William Shakespeare. Explore the many sites associated with Shakespeare in the town and attend a matinee performance of one of his famous plays.
- Discover the fascinating history of Richard III, the last Plantagenet King of England, by visiting Bosworth Battlefield, where he lost his crown, before moving onto the King Richard III Visitor Centre to find out how the University made an amazing discovery.
- There is also an optional day trip to London.
- Find out more about the City of Leicester
- Find out more about the English Language Teaching Unit
- Download the Leicester International Summer School brochure
The summer school will take place between 7th August and 25th August 2017.
The final day in Leicester, including the presentation ceremony, will take place on Friday 25th August with the optional day trip to London planned for 27th August.
Accommodation will be available from Sunday 6th August to Saturday 26th August inclusive.
Applications close at the end of June 2017.
Participants are expected to have a minimum English level of IELTS 4.5 or equivalent. Alternative English qualifications will be accepted. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Students must be aged 18 or over.
Accommodation will be in self-catered accommodation within walking distance of the campus and the city centre.
Participants will be housed in a single study bedroom with private bathroom and will share kitchen facilities. All bills and Wi-Fi access are included.
£1,800 per person.
£1,650 for participants from University of Leicester partner institutions.
£1,650 for participants referred by a previous International Summer Programme student
£1,650 for participants referred by a current University of Leicester student or member of staff.
- Tuition fees for all classes
- Self-catered ensuite accommodation
- All excursions and social events
- All study materials
- A certificate of attendance
- A T-shirt and farewell gift
- Access to University of Leicester facilities
What's not included:
- Airport transfers
- Meals and beverages, unless specified in the timetable
- Visa costs
- Medical and travel insurance
To find out more, please email email@example.com