What is an internship?
An internship is an extra-curricular opportunity offered to undergraduates/graduates by employers. These are structured and often full time placements in industry which typically last between 4 and 12 weeks and are offered during summer or Easter holidays or after graduating. Internships can also be part-time if offered during a university semester. Internships offer students a period of practical experience in the industry relating to their field of study. This experience is valuable to students as a means of allowing them to experience how their studies are applied in the ‘real world’, and as work experience that can be highly attractive to potential employers on a candidate's CV.
Internships are often used by organisations to identify future graduate recruits.
Key Fact: “Whilst the total number of graduate vacancies is set to increase in 2013, recruiters expect that over a third of this year’s entry-level positions will be filled by graduates who have already worked for their organisations – either through internships, industrial placements or vacation work – and therefore are not open to other students from the ‘Class of 2013’” (High Fliers 2013)
Benefits of doing an internship:
- A valuable opportunity to gain real work experience and an insight into the working world;
- An opportunity for utilising the skills and knowledge obtained within your degree and applying it in a practical setting;
- The chance to increase your long term employability and enhance your CV by development of a wide range of transferable skills;
- ‘Try before you buy’ - experience an industry or job role of your choice.
- Networking opportunity - establish useful contacts for a future job search – “a foot in the door”.
- Graduate recruiters are looking for proven track record e.g. evidence of application of skills and competencies in a business environment.
Want to learn what previous graduates said about their internship experience after completing their Leicester Graduate Internships programme? Read the previous interns' case studies.
- Login to MyCareers using your University of Leicester username and
- Click on Search for Opportunities > Opportunity Type > graduate internships OR undergraduate internships
- Click here to see the list of other useful websites that advertise undergraduate internship opportunities.
- Click here to see current Leicester Graduate Internships on offer for recent first degree graduates.
Leicester Graduate Internships 2013/14 programme is open to first degree graduates from the University of Leicester from July 2013, who are eligible to work in the UK.
There are currently no items in this folder.