Leicester students race in the Olympic Stadium this weekend
As the culmination of this year’s Olympic-themed Universities Week, the BUCS Visa Outdoor Athletics Championships take place over the next four days in the most prestigious venue imaginable – the brand new Olympic Stadium.
BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sport) is the national governing body for higher education sport in the UK, working with student athletes, athletic union staff and elected officers as well as professional sporting staff, coaches and volunteers at its 161 member institutions.
This year’s BUCS outdoor athletics event has been designated part of the London Prepares series, giving the Olympic organisers a chance to test aspects of their infrastructure, while giving Britain’s best student athletes the chance of a lifetime: competition in the London 2012 Olympic Stadium.
There will be a full programme of 40 track and field events over the four days with about 1,500 students competing, including ten athletes from the University of Leicester:
- Shanara Hibbert – Women’s Long Jump
- Sarah Johnson – Women’s 10000m
- Caitlin Lloyd – Women’s 1500m
- Aidan McCormack – Men’s 10000m
- Joanne Maddick – Women’s 5000m
- Owain Morgan – Men’s 200m
- Stephen Parkes – Men’s 5000m
- Liam Phelan – Men’s 1500m
- Thomas Snowden – Men’s 800m
- Daniel Timms – Men’s 400m
We wish the very best of luck to all of them.