Think Frink: notable sculptures installed in Botanic Garden
'Desert Quartet' is a group of four enormous heads, each more than a metre in height, which were sculpted by Frink in 1986 and cast in bronze. Six sets were produced of which two had white patination and it is one of these two which is on display in the Botanic Garden.
This is the only remaining full set of heads available for sale and has been generously loaned to the University by the Goldmark Gallery in Rutland.
Dame Elisabeth Frink (1930-1993) was a British sculptor whose work, mostly large, figurative bronzes, placed her within the so-called ‘Geometry of Fear School’, a term coined by critic Herbert Read in the early 1950s. Frink produced artworks for more than four decades, culminating in her ‘Risen Christ’ sculpture in Liverpool Cathedral which was unveiled just one week before her death.
The University’s annual Sculpture in the Garden exhibition celebrates its tenth anniversary this year. It will run from the end of June through to the end of October.
Information about Elisabeth Frink and the the ‘Frink heads’ is available on the University’s Press Office website. The Botanic Garden is open from 10.00am to 4.00pm, seven days a week, and entry is free (except on event days).
(Please note that the Frink heads have now been removed from the Botanic Garden.)