Theses and dissertations
- University of Leicester Theses and Masters Dissertations
- UK University Theses
- International Theses
- Subject Databases that index Theses and Dissertations
Selected taught course dissertations from a few departments can be found on the Library Catalogue by using the Quick Search for keywords option. Type your subject term and then add and dissertation and then click on search.
- e.g. empathy facial expression and dissertation
dissertations@Leicester is a new online service being developed by the Library (with support from IT Services) in collaboration with academic departments during 2012/13. The system is intended to store completed Masters dissertations selected by departments as examples of good practice for current students. At the moment, it contains a number of dissertations for Museum Studies and Psychology.
Theses can be found by using the Theses search on the catalogue. Place a hold on items you require and refer to the Retrieval Service information to find out when it will be available and how to make a request.
Electronic theses (eTheses)
Most theses produced by PhD students at Leicester since 2008, and some older ones, are now available on the Leicester Research Archive (LRA). You can browse by department or search all the collection. If you are a research student student at Leicester you will need to submit an electronic copy of your final thesis as part of your doctorate submission.
Dissertations available from departments
- Centre for Urban History - postgraduate dissertations can be searched for on the Centre library catalogue
- Criminology - postgraduate dissertations are available in the Departmental library. A selection of Undergraduate dissertations are held in the Library
- English Local History - MA Dissertations can be read in the department and there is a list of PhD theses in preparation or recently completed.
- Geography - dissertations are available via the Resources Centre
- Psychology - some postgraduate dissertations are kept in the Library, others are held by the department. Some are also hosted on the LRA.
- EThOS - Electronic Theses Online System
EThOS has been developed by the EThOS partnership, comprising of several UK Higher Education Institutions and the British Library with funding from JISC, RLUK and other HE partners.
EThOS allows you to search over 250,000 theses records, freely download the full text of any UK thesis that has been digitised, and order for downloading any thesis from one of the participating institutions. While many theses are listed but not yet online you may request that they are digitisised; but be aware that this process may take some time.
If the thesis you wish to read is not listed on EThOS you can place a Speculative Request for them to update their records and digitise your chosen thesis. You will need to register to make full use of this service
- Index to Theses The electronic version of the Index to theses accepted for higher degrees by the universities of Great Britain and Ireland covering 1716 to the present. It includes abstracts where available and also provides links to local repositories (like the LRA) and ETHoS where theses are available for download.
- Libraries & Information East Midlands: Locating Theses
A very useful guide to locating print and electronic theses is produced by LIEM and updated annually.
- History Online
Lists of theses completed in the U.K. from 1970-present day related to historical research. It also includes information on those currently in progress.
- ARGO: National Documentation Centre (Greece)
- Cybertesis.NET (Chile)
- DART-Europe E-theses Portal (European)
- Dissertations.Se (Sweden)
- DiVA: the Academic Archive Online (Scandanavian countries)
- Hong Kong University Online (Hong Kong)
- National ERD Portal (South Africa)
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (Global)
- NZ Research (New Zealand)
- Pakistan Research Repository (Pakistan)
- ProQuest Dissertation Express (US)
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (UK & Ireland)
- PQDT Open (Open access dissertations and theses)
- SwePub (Swedish)
- TDX (Spain)
- TEL (France)
- Theses Canada (Canada)
- Trove (Australia)
- Vidyanidhi - Digital Library and E-Scholarship Portal (India)
- WorldCat Dissertations (Global)
- See also the page on searching for open access resources (LINK)
If a thesis is not available online you can apply for an Inter Library Loan of a thesis. Contact Document Supply for more details.
The following databases index theses and dissertations, as well as journal articles in their subject areas:
- America: History and Life
- MLA Bibliography
- Sociological Abstracts