Theses and Masters' dissertations
- University of Leicester Theses and Masters Dissertations
- UK University Theses
- International Theses
- Subject Databases that index Theses and Dissertations
Nearly all doctoral theses produced by Leicester students, starting with our first award in 1924, are now available on the Leicester Research Archive (LRA). You can browse by department or search all the collection. Please note that if you are a research student student at Leicester you are required to submit an electronic copyof your final thesis as part of your doctorate submission.
dissertations@Leicester is a new online service managed by the Library (with support from IT Services) in collaboration with academic departments. The system stores completed Masters dissertations selected by departments as examples of good practice for current students. At the moment, it contains selected dissertations for Criminology, Law, Management, Media & Communication, Museum Studies, Politics & International Relations and Psychology.
Masters' dissertations available from departments
- Centre for Urban History - postgraduate dissertations can be searched for on the Centre library catalogue
- English Local History - MA Dissertations can be read in the department and there is a list of PhD theses in preparation or recently completed.
- Geography - dissertations are available via the Resources Centre
- EThOS - Electronic Theses Online System
EThOS has been developed by the EThOS partnership, comprising of several UK Higher Education Institutions and the British Library with funding from JISC, RLUK and other HE partners.
EThOS allows you to search over 250,000 theses records, freely download the full text of any UK thesis that has been digitised, and order for downloading any thesis from one of the participating institutions. While many theses are listed but not yet online you may request that they are digitisised; but be aware that this process may take some time.
If the thesis you wish to read is not listed on EThOS you can place a Speculative Request for them to update their records and digitise your chosen thesis. You will need to register to make full use of this service
- Index to Theses The electronic version of the Index to theses accepted for higher degrees by the universities of Great Britain and Ireland covering 1716 to the present. It includes abstracts where available and also provides links to local repositories (like the LRA) and ETHoS where theses are available for download.
- Libraries & Information East Midlands: Locating Theses
A very useful guide to locating print and electronic theses is produced by LIEM and updated annually.
- History Online
Lists of theses completed in the U.K. from 1970-present day related to historical research. It also includes information on those currently in progress.
- ARGO: National Documentation Centre (Greece)
- Cybertesis.NET (Chile)
- DART-Europe E-theses Portal (European)
- Dissertations.Se (Sweden)
- DiVA: the Academic Archive Online (Scandanavian countries)
- Hong Kong University Online (Hong Kong)
- National ERD Portal (South Africa)
- Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations (Global)
- NZ Research (New Zealand)
- Pakistan Research Repository (Pakistan)
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (UK & Ireland)
- PQDT Open (Open access dissertations and theses)
- SwePub (Swedish)
- TDX (Spain)
- TEL (France)
- Theses Canada (Canada)
- Trove (Australia)
- Vidyanidhi - Digital Library and E-Scholarship Portal (India)
International library catalogue which includes details of North American theses/dissertations, in particular. From the homepage, choose Advanced Search. Then limit your search to Content type Thesis/Dissertations.
If a thesis is not available online you can apply for an Inter Library Loan of a thesis. Contact Document Supply for more details.
The following databases index theses and dissertations, as well as journal articles in their subject areas:
- America: History and Life
- MLA Bibliography
- Sociological Abstracts