Welcome to the My Subject page for Renaissance to Romanticism.
This page highlights some of the information resources specific to this subject. You will find more general resources on the My Subject page for English.
Literature Online (LION)
- LION contains thousands of full-text volumes of prose, poetry and drama from the period, including the collections:
- Renaissance Literature, 1500-1660
- American Colonial and British Neoclassical Literature, 1607-1785
- Romantic and Early American Literature, 1765-1837
- Shakespeare Audio Plays on LION
Fully dramatised, unabridged recordings of all the 38 plays. The featured actors include Simon Russell Beale, Joseph Fiennes, David Tennant, Niamh Cusack and Sir John Gielgud.
- British Library: Shakespeare in quarto
British Library copies of the 21 plays by William Shakespeare printed in quarto before the theatres were closed in 1642.
- EEBO: Early English Books Online
Full text facsimiles of printed material published in the British Isles between 1475 and 1700, plus English language material printed overseas.
- EEBO-TCP: 25,000 full texts made freely available online by a collaboration between the Universities of Oxford and Michigan.
- ECCO: Eighteenth Century Collection Online
Digital images of every page of 150,000 books published during the 18th Century.
- English Emblem Book Project
A collection of scanned emblem books, of interest for the analysis of reading practices, printing history, Elizabethan popular culture, the use of allegory, and the relationship of word to image.
- Ben Jonson Online: Cambridge Edition of the Works of Ben Jonson. Complete works, with introductions and commentaries. Includes digital images of original texts.
Newspapers and pamphlets
- The Bible in English
A collection of 20 different versions of the Bible from the tenth to the twentieth century.
- King James Bible on LION
This fully searchable online version presents the full text (of the "He" version) with all introductory matter, annotation, calendars, genealogies and tables.