University of Leicester Archives
The University of Leicester was founded in 1921 as Leicestershire and Rutland University College. The site for the College was donated by a local textile manufacturer, Thomas Fielding Johnson, in order to create a living memorial for those who lost their lives in First World War.
In 1927, after it became University College, Leicester, students sat the examinations for external degrees of the University of London. Vaughan College, founded as a Working Men's College by Revd David Vaughan in 1862, merged with the University College 1929. In 1957 the college was granted its Royal Charter, and has since then had the status of a University with the right to award its own degrees.
The University Archives contain the institutional archives of the University of Leicester and its predecessor bodies and affiliated bodies. There are 9 different categories of material:
- Committee Records
- Administrative Records
- Departmental Records
- Student Records (not recent)
- Press cuttings
- Deposited papers of former staff and students
Enquiries and Access
The University Archives form part of the Library's Special Collections and are available for consultation by appointment in the Kirby and West Reading Room in the Library Basement.
Contact the University Archivist Caroline Sampson for more information:
Telephone: 0116 252 2441
Certificates and Transcripts
Replacement degree certificates and transcripts are not supplied from the University Archives. These can be purchased via the online shop www.shop.le.ac.uk. For further information, please email email@example.com or phone 0116 252 2831.