Library Representatives' Toolkit
The role of a Library Departmental Representative is key to ensuring that Library collections and services effectively support research and teaching and are sensitive to disciplinary cultures.
Each Department or School is asked to nominate one or more Library Representatives, preferably a member of academic staff.
The role of the Library Representative is to:
- Act as the main point of contact between the Department and the Library. This includes advising your liaison Librarian on appropriate methods of communicating with the Department through formal and informal mechanisms
- Represent the views of the Department to the Library
- Disseminate information about the Library to staff and students as appropriate
- Ensure that book funds allocated to the Department are committed in a timely manner
- Ensure that journal and database requirements are regularly reviewed by the Department and any changes and new requirements communicated to your Librarian
- Work with your Librarian on collection development at subject level
- Ensure that academic colleagues are made aware of the need to alert the Library to new courses and modules at an early stage
- Ensure that academic colleagues are made aware of the importance of organizing appropriate information skills sessions and related activities with your Librarian
- Act as a channel for suggestions for improvement of the Library service
Download the Library Departmental Representatives: Role description.
Your Library Contact
We encourage you to work closely with your Librarian.
Ordering Books, Journals and eResources
Guidance on making purchase recommendations for books, journals and electronic resources. Please read the Library Allocation Formula which provides an overview of the methodology used to determine the allocation of library funds. To order materials fill in the order form
Copyright and Course Packs Information
Key facts relating to copyright issues and their implications for learning, teaching and research.
Library Users' Forum
We welcome comments and suggestions for improvements to our service.