Music scholarships at Embrace Arts
There is a vibrant music scene at the University of Leicester. Whether it’s the Coull String Quartet at Embrace Arts, Kasabian at the O2 Academy or the Philharmonia at De Montfort Hall, there are lots of ways to engage with the musical life of the University:
- Audition for a music scholarship that will provide support for instrumental teaching.
- Join a University music society – choose from Orchestra, Big Band, Concert Band, Chamber Choir, LU Chorus, LU Voices (Gospel choir) and many more smaller groups.
- Set up your own group.
- Perform at a lunchtime Soundbite event at Embrace Arts.
- Listen to professional musicians play at Embrace Arts for just £5.
- Go to see the Philharmonia Orchestra perform at De Montfort Hall (next to the University) for £5.
- Become a Philharmonia music ambassador and get the chance to win prizes.
Small but perfect for small acoustic or semi-acoustic groups. Embrace Arts programmes professional and semi-pro concerts throughout the year. We are always looking for performers for our Soundbites programmes – a free lunchtime concert every Tuesday from 12.45pm. We also support local amateur and community groups through our associated group scheme.
University of Leicester/Philharmonia Orchestra Partnership
A ground-breaking collaboration between the University of Leicester and the Philharmonia Orchestra was forged in 2010. Resident at De Montfort Hall, giving seven concerts per year and three schools concerts, the world-renowned Philharmonia has a long-term commitment to Leicester and to broadening its activity there beyond the concert platform.
In close consultation with the Vice Chancellor, Embrace Arts, and the Music Association, a scheme has been devised to allow the musicians of the Orchestra to work alongside University students. The partnership takes several forms:
- Music scholarship students receive one-to-one tuition from Philharmonia players.
- The University orchestra, bands and choirs are coached by relevant specialists.
- Conducting tuition is provided for ensemble leaders.
- Marketing and programming support is available from Philharmonia experts
- And students can received discounted tickets to Philharmonia concerts.