Attenborough Arts Centre will be developing a stimulating visual arts programme. The new, socially engaged exhibition and events programme will have a positive impact in the promotion and research of disability culture. Our visual arts programme will focus on art that is relevant, engaging and accessible, critical and progressive. Our exhibitions will have a social motivation exploring the changing role of contemporary art, its local and global relevance; supporting practical, aesthetic, and poetic new approaches to our society, our environment and our place within the two.
Attenborough Arts Centre is part of the University of Leicester’s Division of External Relations. Our new exhibition programme will significantly contribute to the University’s strategic research goals and wider public engagement. It will specifically explore issues of human identity and inter-cultural interactions, promote inter-discipline, attract high-calibre collaborators, and encourage new imaginative approaches that culminate in exhibition projects.
- Saturday 25 February – Sunday 21 May, FREE
- FREE Public preview: Friday 24 February, 5.30pm - 7.30pm, booking advised
- Attenborough Arts Centre brings a major new touring exhibition to Leicester which sees leading British artist, Ryan Gander, select work from Art Council Collection’s world class national collection of modern and contemporary British art.
This exhibition includes a major new commission ‘As old as time itself, slept alone’ by Ryan Gander, presented as part of the exhibition. Night in the Museum brings together over 30 works by artists including Roger Hiorns, Henry Moore, Angela Bulloch and Wolfgang Tillmans.
For this exhibition, Gander has made a selection of works from the Arts Council Collection’s nearly 8,000 works of British art in a range of media. The majority of these were acquired from young and emerging UK-based artists over the past 70 years.
- Book for Night in the Museum preview
- VIP Evening: Friday 24 February, 4.30pm - 5pm, £15 booking advised
- An exclusive introduction to our new exhibition. Enjoy a glass of Prosecco and a canapé with Attenborough Arts Centre Director Michaela Butter and special guests.
- Book for VIP reception event
- Friday 24 February, 12.30pm – 1.30pm, FREE
- For 16+ years
- Join Ryan Gander and a special guest speaker for a conversation about our new exhibition ‘Night in the Museum: Ryan Gander Curates the Arts Council Collection.’
- Book now
- Friday 24 March, 6.30pm
- Comedian Daniel Nicholas, will take you on a mini tour of the new Ryan Gander Exhibition, and how it in the event of a dangerous situation these objects could be used for survival. Meet outside the Gallery Entrance.
- Wednesday 1 March, 5pm - 6.30pm, FREE
- For teachers
- A guided tour of the NITM exhibition with the learning team from AAC and resident sculptor Austin Orwin. This engaging and tailored twilight will give an introduction to the resources available for school visits, including lesson plans and discussions about the range of works in the exhibition.
- Book now