Dr Patrick White
BSc (Bristol), PGCE[FE] (Wales), DipRes (Wales), PhD (Wales)
Room: Attenborough Tower 403
Tel: +44 (0)11-6223-1450 (direct line), +44 (0)11-6252-2739 (secretary)
My empirical work has primarily focused on issues in education and training, and I have conducted research in the following areas: Student decision-making in compulsory schooling; teacher recruitment, retention and morale; educational markets and segregation; determinants of lifelong learning; patterns of internet use; participation in higher education; and the supply of science, technology, engineering and maths (STEM) workers.
I have spent several years working on projects designed to enhance research capacity and retain a keen interest in research methods. I am particularly interested in: the formulation of research questions; the use of large-scale secondary data sets; and statistical modelling.
Current research projects
I am currently working on three funded research projects:
- The Employment Trajectories of STEM Graduates (Nuffield Foundation, £46,214)
- Evaluation of the 'Youth United' Social Action Trial (Education Endowment Foundation, £101,879)
- Evaluation of the 'Children's University' Social Action Trial (Education Endowment Foundation, £152,484)
I am interested in supervising postgraduate students in the area of educational participation and inequality. I have particular expertise in the following areas: Education and career choice; further and higher education; lifelong learning; and education, training and the labour market. I am especially interested in supervising studies using large-scale secondary data sources and mixed methods approaches.
- SY2008: Research Methods 2
- SY3042: Undergraduate Research Project
- SY3091: Education and Social Justice
- SY7013: Collecting and Analysing Numeric Data
- SY7014: Multivariate Analysis and Statistical Modelling
- Doctoral Training Programme
- Supervision of Masters and PhD theses
YouTube SPSS Video Tutorials
I have made some YouTube videos to introduce students to conducting basic statistical analyses using the SPSS software package. They can be viewed here.
Current administrative duties
- Admissions Team: Admissions Tutor
- Departmental IT Coordinator