Dr Claire V Hutchinson
|Research group:||Vision and Language|
|Tel:||+44 (0)116 229 7183|
|Office:||Room 333a (MSB)|
MA (University of Aberdeen); PhD (University of Nottingham)
Spatial vision, motion perception, visual cognition, age-related visual decline, visual markers of ‘non-visual’ illnesses, amblyopia.
Vision-related problems in CFS/ME: In response to interest from the CFS/ME community about my research into vision-related problems in the condition, I have created a web-page with a summary of our studies. This can be found here.
I supervise postgraduate students on a range of research projects. Students interested in studying for a PhD under my supervision can learn more about how to apply here.
My publications since 2013 are given below. A full list can be found here.
- Swan, E.F., Hutchinson, C.V. Everard, M., Shimozaki, S.S. (2015). Aging effects in cueing tasks as assessed by the ideal observer: peripheral cues. Journal of Vision, 15(2):5, 1–18.
- Hutchinson, C.V., Walker, J., Davidson, C. (2014). Oestrogen, ocular function and low-level vision. Journal of Endocrinology, 223, R9-R18.
- Hutchinson, C.V., Ledgeway, T., Allen, H.A. (2014). The ups and downs of global motion perception: a paradoxical advantage for smaller stimuli in the aging visual system. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience, 6: Article 199.
- Hutchinson, C.V., Maltby, J., Badham, S.P., Jason, L.A (2014). Vision-related symptoms as a clinical feature of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis? Evidence from the DePaul Symptom Questionnaire. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 98, 144-145.
- Badham, S.P., Hutchinson, C.V. (2013). Characterising eye movement dysfunction in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Graefe’s Archive of Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, 251, 2769-2776.
- Carey, D.P., Hutchinson, C.V. (2013). Looking at eye dominance from a different angle: Is sighting strength related to hand and foot preference? Cortex, 49, 2542-2552.
- Hutchinson, C.V., Stocks, R. (2013). Selectively enhanced motion perception in core video gamers. Perception, 42, 675-677.
- Hutchinson, C.V., Badham, S.P. (2013). Patterns of abnormal visual attention in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME). Optometry and Vision Science, 90, 607-614.
- Arena, A., Hutchinson, C.V., Shimozaki, S.S., Long, M.D. (2013). Visual discrimination in noise: behavioural correlates of age-related cortical decline. Behavioural Brain Research, 243, 102-108.
- Hutchinson, C.V., Ledgeway, T., Allen, H.A., Long, M.D., Arena, A. (2013). Binocular summation of second-order global motion signals in human vision. Vision Research, 84, 16-25.
- Prados, J., Alvarez, B., Howarth, J., Stewart, K., Gibson, C.L., Hutchinson, C.V., Young, A.M.J, Davidson, C. (2013). Cue competition effects in the planarian. Animal Cognition, 16, 177-186.
- PS1010: Introduction to Perception and Cognition (module co-ordinator)
- PS1014: Approaches to Psychology
- PS2005: Abnormal and Individual Differences
- PS2015: Abnormal and Individual Differences Library Module
- PS2016: Cognitive Psychology Library Module
- PS3022: Visual Cognition
- PS3026: Evolution, Cognition and Behaviour
- PS2008/09/15: Undergraduate Dissertations
- School of Psychology PhD/MPhil Admissions Tutor
- BSc Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience Admissions Tutor
- BSc Psychology with Cognitive Neuroscience Course Tutor
- Year 1 Tutor
- Vision and Language Research Group Lead