Dr Klaus von Haeften
Associate Professor in Nanoscience
Head of CMP group
Department of Physics & Astronomy,
University of Leicester,
Leicester, LE1 7RH,
Office: room S5, 2nd floor, Physics Main Bldg
Tel: +44 (0) 116 252 3525
Fax: +44 (0) 116 252 2770
email: kvh6 [at] le.ac.uk
- Office Hours: Thursdays 10 - 11 am
- Biography: I studied Physics at the University of Hamburg and graduated with a Diploma in 1995 and a PhD in 1999. I worked at the Max Planck Institute for Flow Research, the German Electron Synchrotron DESY and the University of Bochum before being appointed in Leicester.
- Research Interests: my research areas are fundamental properties and applications of quantum fluids, nano-structured material
- List of peer-reviewed publications
- Research Projects: (i) impulsive alignment of small molecule-helium clusters; (ii) fluorescence spectroscopy of single molecules in liquid helium; (iii) nanoparticle formation via deposition of metals onto liquid jets and supersonic cluster beams.
- Enterprise: founder of NANOTX Ltd.
- Collaborations: Nelly Bonifaci and Frederik Aitken, CNRS, Grenoble; Andrew M. Ellis, and Shengfu Yang, University of Leicester; Tim Laarmann, DESY, Hamburg; Robert E. Zillich, University of Linz; Marius Lewerenz and Mirjana Mladenovic, University of Paris; Tamar Seideman, Northwestern University; Karl-Heinz Meiwes-Broer, University of Rostock; Arnaud Rouzee, Max Born Institute.
- Supervision of PhD students: (i) Dr Atea Akraiam; (ii) Dr Hanieh Yazdanfar; (iii) Dr Luis Guillermo Mendoza Luna; (iv) Dr Mumin Koç; (v) Dr Gediminas Galinis; (vi) Mike McNally; (vii) Nagham Shiltagh and (viii) Oliver Youle
- Available PhD themes: Deposition of atomic metal vapour onto liquids, metal nanoparticles for industrial application, molecular interactions in quantum fluids at the nanoscale
- Teaching in 2015/16: (1) opt.1609 1st year Introduction to Nanophysics (2) PA2900 2nd year Labs in general physics, (3) opt.294 2nd year Electronic Labs, (4) 3rd year projects, (4) 4th year projects, (5) opt.4621 4th year Nanostructures Blackboard.
- Outreach: Artemis - the superfast XUV laser, fluorescent silicon nanoparticles
- Other: Organisation of CMP seminars, CMP representative of Equality and Diversity Working Group (EDWG)
- Recent Publications:
- L. G. Mendoza-Luna, N. M. K. Shiltagh, M. J. Watkins, N. Bonifaci, F. Aitken, and K. von Haeften, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 7, 4666 (2016).
- M. J. McNally, M. M. Koç, G. Torricelli, K. von Haeften Nanoscale stripe arrays templated on Moire patterns in graphite, Surface Science 646, 108 (2016).
- H. Gharbi Tarchouna et al. Formation of Positively Charged Liquid Helium Clusters in Supercritical Helium and their Solidification upon Compression
J. Phys. Chem. Lett. 6, 3036 (2015).
- G. Galinis et al. Probing the structure and dynamics of molecular clusters using rotational wavepackets, Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 043004 (2014).