MA in Social Work
Fees for the September 2013 intake are still to be confirmed.
The MA in Social Work will equip you with the relevant knowledge, values, methods and analytical skills, so that, on completion of the course, you may work as a well-educated and professionally qualified competent practitioner, suitable for admission to the HCPC register of social workers.
At the end of the course, you will have :
- Demonstrated competence in the six key roles outlined in the National Occupational Standards for Social Work
- Grasped the relationship between social work theory and social work practice
- Developed the ability to recgognise and challenge discrimination and social injustice
- Developed a value-base appropriate for the practice of social work with diverse populations
- Demonstrated knowledge of social work provision in both the statutory and the voluntary sectors
- Demonstrated a professional commitment to work accountably and effectively with social work clients/service users
- Developed research skills and an appreciation of the significance of research for effective evidence-based social work practice
- Developed an understanding of the legal and policy context of social work practice
- Demonstrated an ability to evaluate your own performance in practice and
- Developed powers of critical thinking and analysis.
Teaching staff at the School have a wide range of academic and professional expertise. Practitioners, service users and managers from local and regional statutory and voluntary agencies complement the School's teaching.
You will be working with practitioners and others at the cutting edge of developments within the social work sector. In this way, you will gain the skills and knowledge that will enable you to become an effective professional. You will gain an insight into practice from all relevant perspectives, including service users and agency partners.
Social work is a regulated profession. As a social work student you will be expected to register with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), the social work profession’s regulator, and adhere to the standards set out in the Code of Practice for Social Workers.
As well as regulating individual social workers and students, we also regulate the performance of social work courses, the reports of which are published on our website, so you can check to see how each university is performing.
For more information visit: www.hpc-uk.org
Due to the unprecedented volume of applications this year for the MA in Social Work course, please be aware that screening decisions will take longer than usual. The decision made about your application will be relayed to you as soon as possible and you will be notified of the outcome, whether you are invited to interview or otherwise. We apologise for any delays and thank you for your patience.