Direct Contact Details
0116 229 7030
- BA(Hons) Biochemistry, University College, University of Oxford (1983-1987).
- PhD Trinity Hall, University of Cambridge & MRC-Lab of Molecular Biology, Cambridge UK (1987-1991).
- Postdoctoral fellow MRC-Lab of Molecular Biology (1992-1994).
- Staff Scientist, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California USA (1995-1997).
- Adjunct Associate Professor, Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California USA (1997-1999)
- Group Leader / Senior Scientist MRC-Lab of Molecular Biology, Cambridge UK (1997-2006)
- Professor of Structural Biology, University of Leicester UK (2006- )
- Head of Department of Biochemistry (2010-2015)
- Head of Department of Molecular and Cell Biology (2015- )
- Structural Biology: NMR Spectroscopy & X-ray Crystallography
- Molecular mechanisms of the regulation of gene expression
- Nuclear receptors and their role in metabolism, development and disease
Current Research Interests
The current major interest in the group is understanding the structure and function of HDAC-containing corepressor complexes. This work is supported by a Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator Award. These complexes play an important role in the regulation of development, differentiation, cancer and homeostasis.
In addition, the group has a long-standing interest in the molecular mechanisms of transcriptional regulation by nuclear receptors. Nuclear receptors are important regulators of gene expression and are major drug targets. Our understanding of the mechanism of the ligand-regulated switch has been greatly enhanced by studies of the structure and dynamics of nuclear receptors.
In addition to these core research areas, the group is also involved in a number of collaborative projects with an emphasis on proteins and complexes implicated in various cancers.
Recent Research Funding
- Wellcome Trust Senior Investigator Award (HDAC complexes)
- EU Research Training Network (Nuclear receptors)
- BBSRC Project Grant (Specificity of HDAC1 complexes)
- Wellcome Trust Equipment Grant (Anaerobic crystallisation facility)
- Wellcome Trust Project Grant (IDOL: The E3 ligase for the LDL receptor)
- Wellcome Trust Programme Grant (Transcriptional Repression Complexes)
Dr Yun Song
Mr Almutasem Saleh
Mrs Irene Nigi
Ms Beatriz Romartinez
Ms Lyndsey Wright (Joint with Dr Shaun Cowley)
Ms Siyu Wang
Ms Jenni Gurnett
Ms Jacquie Greenwood
Previous Members of the Group
Ms Sian Evans
Mr Nicola Portolano
Dr Ben Goult
Dr Imran Shah
Mr Robert Paskin
Dr Thorsten Kampmann
Dr Toshimasa Itoh
Dr Guilherme Santos
Dr Jasmeen Oberoi
Mr John Gooch
Dr Mariko Ariyoshi
Dr Anna Codina
Dr Bettina Kallenberger
Dr James Love
Dr Gina Clayton
Dr Zsolt Szijgyarto
Dr Gregg Hudson
Dr Peter Watson
Dr Charles Milano
Dr Naomi Allaway