IDeoGRAMS Research Group
IDeoGRAMS stands for the Interdepartmental Group for Research into the Arts Media and Society. The Director of the group is Dr. E. Anna Claydon. IDeoGRAMS was established in 2006 to bring together researchers working on broad issues of cultural studies and includes members from across the university as well as externally and is highly federal with researchers working independently or in small groups but coming together for research events.
Who we are
Departmental members include:
• E. Anna Claydon
• Vincent Campbell
• Barrie Gunter
• Peter Lunt
• Katie Moylan
• Jack Newsinger
• Paul Reilly
• Ian Taylor
• Natasha Whiteman
We also have internal members from History of Art and Film, Geography, Management, Psychology, English, Modern Languages, Medicine, Education and Lifelong Learning.
Research projects currently running:
• IDeoGRAMS Symposium 2012 - a one day symposium in May 2012 on seriality. Details will be advertised as planning develops.
• Tough Men and Hard Crimes: Masculinity and the Crime Drama (Claydon and Charlotte Bilby, external IDeoGRAMS member at Northumbria University)
• Disability and the Media (following the themed research seminar series in Spring 2011, Claydon, Gunter and Reilly are developing a project on this area)
Research projects recently completed:
- 'National Identity, the GPO Film Unit and their Music' (Claydon, 2011 in Mansell and Antony, 2011 (in press)
- ‘The Detective, the Criminal and the Countryside: The Place of Rural Britain in the Criminal Landscape’, E. Anna Claydon, presented at University of Leicester Politics of Television Space conference, April 2011
- ‘Cast Offs: The tensions of disability as entertainment’, E. Anna Claydon, presented at MeCCSA Disability Studies Network Symposium, De Montfort University, September 2010
- IDeoGRAMS Disability Studies Seminar Series (February - May 2010)
- Disability Studies Literature Survey (Jennifer Cole, Graduate Research Assistant, May 2010)
News and Events
Seminar Series 2010-11
Recent seminars included:
• May 18th IDeoGRAMS Thinking... Social Media and Art/Social Media as Art (Chaired by Dr E. Anna Claydon) 5.30-6.30 Ken Edwards Seminar Room 324
• June 1st Dr Tony Dux 'Perceptions of Child Abuse' (School of Medicine, University of Leicester) 5.30-6.30 Ken Edwards Seminar Room 324
• June 15th 5.30-6.30 Prof. Peter Lunt 'Narrative and Identity in Who Do You Think You Are?' (Dept. of Media and Communication, University of Leicester)Ken Edwards Seminar Room 324
• June 29th Dr Jack Newsinger 'A Cultural Shock Doctrine? The Cuts to Public Funding for Culture in Britain' (Dept. of Media and Communication, University of Leicester) 5.30-6.30 Ken Edwards Seminar Room 324
• July 13th Dr Colin G. Johnson 'Internet Search in Art, Music and Design' (Dept. of Computer Science, University of Kent). 5.30-6.30 Ken Edwards Seminar Room 324
Seminars in 2011-12
Speakers in the autumn
Oct 12th James Mansell (University of Nottingham) 'Sound and Selfhood in Early Twentieth-Century Britain: Total Listening in the Second World War'
Nov 2nd IDeoGRAMS Shorts... (three short talks by students and staff wanting to present new short works). Speakers will be confirmed nearer the time.
Nov 16th Paul Lazarus (Dept. of Medical and Social Care Education) 'A Pain in the Arts'
Nov 30th Ian Taylor (Dept. of Media and Communication) 'Hacking-gate as Agenda Building'
Dec 14th: Speaker TBC
Research Group Brown Bag Lunches
IDeoGRAMS Development meetings will take place twice yearly and will be advertised to members in the process of organising.
Interested in Doing a PhD?
Members of the research group would be interested in supervising research that considers issues of cultural studies, art, film, television, audience consumption and radio. Please follow the links above to individual members' web pages for a list of potential topics.
Interested in getting involved?
Please get in touch with E. Anna Claydon