Dr Giuseppe A. Veltri
Giuseppe Alessandro Veltri holds a BSc in Psychology of Communication from the University of Siena, an MSc in Social Research Methods from the Methodology Institute of the London School of Economics (LSE) and a PhD in Social Psychology from the LSE. He is a Lecturer at University of Leicester and Honorary Fellow at Faculty of Engineering of the University of Bristol.
He has been Lecturer at University of East Anglia and a scientific fellow at the European Commission JRC Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (IPTS). Before joining the IPTS, he has been a research associate at the Institut Jean Nicod (Ecole Normale Supérieure) in Paris. He has taught extensively in the fields of methodology of social research and social psychology.
My email is g.a.veltri(at)le.ac.uk.
My current research agenda and my research-led teaching focuses on two areas: 1) The study of public opinion dynamics and social representations using a computational social science framework; 2) psychological theories of communication and, in particular, with an emphasis on bounded rationality and ‘nudge’ interventions (heuristics based).
I am interested in supervising PhD student in the following areas:
1) Psychology of communication applied to 'nudging' and choice architecture, especially online.
2) The use of computational approaches to study public opinion dynamics (online and offline).
3) The morphogenesis and evolution of social and semantic networks in groups.
- Senior Research staff,“Framework Contract on Behavioural Studies”, European Commission EAHC/2011/CO/01,Euro 10,000,000, January 15, 2012 to December 31, 2015.
- DG SANCO 2012/2013: Study on tobacco labelling and packaging. Value: Euros 285,000
- DG CLIMA 2012/2013: Study on testing CO2 Car Labelling options and consumer information. Value: Euros 275,000
- DG SANCO 2013: Study on online gambling and adequate measures for the protection of consumers of gambling services. Value: Euros 316,000
- JRC IPTS 2012/2013: Using social media to nudge increased physical activity in young citizens. Value: Euros 30,000
- DG SANCO 2014: Study on marketing to children through social media, online games and mobile applications. Value: Euros 530,000
- 2015. HORIZON 2020. Project grant: Euros 2,724,473. WP University of Leicester: Euros 273,563.
Project: Between the representation of the crisis and the crisis of representation. How crisis changed the symbolic background of European societies and identities. Implication for policies and policy making.
- Big Data & Society
- Public Understanding of Science
- Science Communication
- The International Journal of Science in Society
- European Journal of Communication
- Environmental Politics;
- Information Technologies & International Development
- Journal of Science Communication
- Global Environmental Change
- Sage Research Methods
- Austrian Science Foundation
- European Commission JRC
- German Science Foundation (DFG)
• International Network of Social Network Analysis (INSNA), Member 2011-present.
• International Association of Applied Psychology, Member, 2011–present
• The Sociology of Science and Technology Network (SSTNET) 2010–present. Member of the Board.
• European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST), Member, 2010–present
• European Sociological Association, Member, 2010–present
- I am program director of the MA in New Media and Society
- I am module convenor for MS7042 'Research Methods for the Online World'
- I am module convenor for MS7103 'New Media, Online Persuasion and Behavioural Change'