Dr Giuseppe A. Veltri
Giuseppe Alessandro Veltri holds a BSc in Psychology of Communication from the University of Siena, an MSc in Social Research Methods from the Methodology Institute of the London School of Economics (LSE) and a PhD in Social Psychology from the LSE. He is a Lecturer at University of Leicester. He has been Lecturer at University of East Anglia and a scientific fellow at the European Commission JRC Institute for Prospective Technological Studies (IPTS). Before joining the IPTS, he has been a research associate at the Institut Jean Nicod (Ecole Normale Supérieure) in Paris. He has taught extensively in the fields of methodology of social research and social psychology.
My email is g.a.veltri(at)le.ac.uk.
My current research interests are about the social and psychological aspects of communication, in particular communication networks and social influences processes. I have a long standing interest in research methodology and in particular in the domain of computational social science and big and long data research. Methodologically, most of my work focuses on text mining and extraction of latent semantic networks from large textual dataset and combining these with other kinds of network data. I am also interested in advanced statistical modelling for the social sciences such as SEM, latent class and multilevel modelling.
From social networks to individual and social cognition, the transformed and evolving media ecology is shaping the way in which we search for information, take decisions, remember, and create social relationships. I am very interested in the application of behavioural research for social change using social media (some call it behavioural economics).
- Senior Research staff,“Framework Contract on Behavioural Studies”, European Commission EAHC/2011/CO/01,Euro 10,000,000, January 15, 2012 to December 31, 2016.
- DG SANCO 2012/2013: Study on tobacco labelling and packaging. Value: Euros 285,000
- DG CLIMA 2012/2013: Study on testing CO2 Car Labelling options and consumer information. Value: Euros 275,000
- DG SANCO 2013: Study on online gambling and adequate measures for the protection of consumers of gambling services. Value: Euros 316,000
- JRC IPTS 2012/2013: Using social media to nudge increased physical activity in young citizens. Value: Euros 30,000
- DG SANCO 2014: Study on marketing to children through social media, online games and mobile applications. Value: Euros 530,000
- 2015. HORIZON 2020. Project grant: Euros 2,724,473. WP University of Leicester: Euros 273,563.
Project: Between the representation of the crisis and the crisis of representation. How crisis changed the symbolic background of European societies and identities. Implication for policies and policy making.
- Public Understanding of Science
- Science Communication
- The International Journal of Science in Society
- European Journal of Communication
- Environmental Politics;
- Information Technologies & International Development
- Journal of Science Communication
- Global Environmental Change
- Sage Research Methods
• International Network of Social Network Analysis (INSNA), Member 2011-present.
• International Association of Applied Psychology, Member, 2011–present
• The Sociology of Science and Technology Network (SSTNET) 2010–present. Member of the Board.
• European Association for the Study of Science and Technology (EASST), Member, 2010–present
• European Sociological Association, Member, 2010–present
Teaching and Supervision
- I am program director of the MA in New Media and Society
- I am module convenor for MS7042 'Research Methods for the Online World'
- I am module convenor for MS7103 'New Media, Online Persuasion and Behavioural Change'