Dr Panayiota Tsatsou
Telephone: 0116 252 2889
Office room: 2.08, Bankfield House
BA Hons Political Science and Public Administration (University of Athens, Greece)
MA Political Science (University of Birmingham, UK)
MSc Media and Communications (LSE, UK)
PhD Media and Communications (LSE, UK)
My research interests lie in the broader field of digital media research. I research the areas of digital divides/digital inclusion and Internet studies and my work has addressed phenomena concerning digital exclusion, digital/Internet research, digital media and civic activism, children and the Internet, gender and the Internet, and digital policy and regulation. I have published widely on digital media and the role of ordinary people and researchers as digital media actors and my work aims to contribute to innovative and evidence-based solutions to issues arising in people’s relationships with digital media. I have developed research collaborations in the UK and internationally and I have presented my work in diverse venues.
I am the author of Digital Divides in Europe: Culture, Politics and the Western-Southern Divide (2011, Berlin: Peter Lang) which examines the hotly debated subject of digital divides and addresses the Western–Southern divide in Europe. The book identifies the role of decision-making and socio-cultural parameters in the Western–Southern divide in Europe and concludes that this divide should be seen as a ladder of divides influenced by a complex set of socio-cultural and policy/regulatory factors. I am also the author of Internet Studies: Past, Present and Future Directions (2014, Ashgate) which aims to offer a critical account of the past, present and future study of the Internet. It examines the lessons learnt so far from the emergence of the Internet and the development of the field of Internet studies, whilst also considering possible directions for the future. It maps key areas of certainty and uncertainty in the field of Internet studies and, as such, it is of interest to scholars and students of media and communication, sociology and social research methods.
In terms of externally funded research, in 2011 I led on an AHRC funded research project on digital inclusion and minority communities in Wales, UK, and in the period 2011-2014 I worked as Co-investigator in a British Academy funded research on digital inclusion, identity and literacy in the UK, In 2014 and 2015 I conducted research on the role of digital technologies in social research in the UK that was funded by the EPSRC Communities and Culture Network+ (CCN+) and the College of Social Sciences at the University of Leicester.
Teaching and Supervision
I apply research-led teaching and I teach undergraduate and postgraduate courses on digital media and digital media research. I also teach methodological courses and various methods of research. I currently convene the following modules: MS1001 Introduction to Media and Communication & MS7060 The Sociology of New Media.
I currently supervise 5 research (PhD) students. I welcome enquiries from prospective research students who wish to undertake projects related to the following research fields:
• Digital divides / digital inclusion
• Internet research / digital research / e-research
• Digital inclusion and policy provision
• Digital media, politics and civic activism
• European Information Society
• Children and digital media
• Digital media and gender representations
I hold the following editorial positions:
- Advisory Board and Scientific Committee Board Member, Journal of Media Critiques.
- Associate Editor: International Journal of Information Communication Technologies and Human Development (IJICTHD)
- Member of Editorial Board, International Journal of Communication and Health.
- Editorial Board Member GSTF Journal on Media and Communications.
- Member of Editorial Board, Essachess - Journal for Communication Studies.
- Member of Editorial Board, Romanian Journal of Communication and Public Relations.
- Member of Editorial Board, Cyborg Subjects Journal.
- Member of Editorial Board, Webology.
- Member of Editorial Board, KOME – An International Journal of Pure Communication Inquiry.
- Member of Editorial Review Board, International Journal of Technology and Management.
- Member of the International Committee of International Scientific Reviewers, Comunicar Scientific Journal.
- Member of Reviewer Panel, Journal of Online Learning and Teaching (JOLT).
- Editor of ‘IS Innovation, Adoption and Diffusion’ Track, ECIS 2012, 20th European Conference on Information Systems, 11-13 June, Barcelona.
- Editor of ‘IS Innovation, Adoption and Diffusion’ Track, ECIS 2013, 21st European Conference on Information Systems, 5-8June, Utrecht.
I serve as external evaluator / reviewer for the following research funding bodies, publishers and scientific journals:
- Evaluator for H2020-ICT-31 - Human-Centric Digital Age, Directorate-General for Communications Networks, Content and Technology, European Commission.
- Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH) Expert, European Commission Directorate General for Communications Networks, Content and Technology.
- Funding Applications Reviewer, Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).
- Funding Applications Reviewer, Communities & Culture Network+
- International Program Review Committee Member, International Conference on Culture, Technology, Communication (CaTaC).
- Ashgate Publishing.
- Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, the International Communication Association (ICA), Wiley.
- New Media & Society (journal), Sage.
- Journal of Communication, the International Communication Association (ICA), Wiley.
- Computers in Human Behavior (journal), Elsevier.
- Telecommunications Policy (journal), Elsevier.
- Learning, Media and Technology (journal), Taylor & Francis.
- Mass Communication and Society (journal), Taylor & Francis.
- First Monday (journal), University of Illinois at Chicago.
- Journal of Enterprise Information Management, Emerald.
- Comunicar Scientific Journal.
- Cyborg Subjects (journal).