Reviews and Awards
Guardian University Guide 2014 Mathematics at the University of Leicester is ranked 16th in the UK.
- We were rated as "Excellent" in the latest governmental Quality Assessment Audit (QAA) for teaching
- In the last Research Assessment Exercise (2001) the Department received ranking 5 in both pure and applied mathematics. Within the mathematical field, only a small number received a coveted 5/5*-rating which is characterised by forefront position within the international academic community 5-ranking in each unit.
- External funding: a stream of grants have been obtained in recent years in all main subject areas. In 2006, our department was the best funded mathematics department per capita from EPSRC.
- National Student Satisfaction Survey (NSS) Maths at Leicester ranks in the top 10 for the third year in a row
- Outstanding student satisfaction levels - we scored 91% in the 2010/11 National Student Survey
Read Maths student profiles and opinions of their Maths studies at Leicester
"Over the last year we have had three interns from the University of Leicester to work in the Methodologies for Tools Department at the Alstom site in Rugby. We were very impressed with their technical skills, enthusiasm & pro-active work attitude and delighted with the technical progress each of them made. They all exceeded our expectations and made a positive contribution to the work of the group as well as gaining valuable experience themselves. Although they started with a three months internship, they have all retained their link with us, either in their own final year projects or as a part - time member of the department during term time. This positive experience strongly encourages us to bring more students into internships in years to come"
Dr. Nadir Ince, Mehodology Development Group Head, Alstom